Decoy Forum Sponsors

Puddle duck spread question

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by H2OFowler87, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Then you're set.
    Pintails toll better to speck decoys and calling than many might think.

Mort and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  2. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

All I can tell you is I'm a decoy freak. Every swinging **** has two dozen Mallard decoys set up in front of his blind on public land. The birds get used to seeing this. Midway through the season I put my Mallard decoys away. I kill limits of puddle ducks with Magnum Canvasback, Pintail, and Canada goose decoys. Sometimes just Magnum Cans. and Pintails.

Mean Gene likes this.
  3. Old Carver

Old Carver Senior Refuge Member

I think the truth of it is how far into the migration you are. Up this far North it will be different than in Arkansas. I grew up hunting in OR and we had lots of puddlers. Used set ups of sprig, wigeon, teal and a few mallards. When I was stationed in MT and SD we used mallards, teal, a few snow geese and a few canada geese.
    It all depends. On a decent size lake up here I use dz mallards, 6 pintails, 6 wigeon, 10 teal (early) and 8 canada floaters and 10 shells along the shore. I put them in little bunches with a few teal next to each species. Huge mish mosh. This year I got some strange stuff on that spread. Two old squaw, one surf scoter, gw teal, mallards, pintails, wigeon, spoonies, cpl canadas, one lone speck. Even had some halequins swing by. Whiffed on those and goldeneyes.
    I mixed spread with a few teal sprinkled between species clumps has worked for me more often and in different locals.
    A spotting scope and watching what is using lakes, fields, ponds will sure help. I'm wondering about a drone for aerial recon. See what and where and match it the next morning. Like fly fishing. Match the hatch and what their biting.

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

The decoy spread I use is really dependent on what species I "want" to target and what species are predominant... I will always have some of each... I shoot a club with a bit of variety to the habitat... Our open water ponds, we tend to put out pintail and teal, maybe with a widgeon and spoony or two... In our choked tule ponds we switch the pintail to mallard decoys...

If spoonies are around they make a great decoy... A lot of color, and very visible. Same with pintail.

More than half the birds I kill are green-wing teal... I make darn sure I put some teal decoys out. I usually have a little separate group close to the blind in an open lane... All too often, that is where we shoot em'. Often times with birds such as pintail, widgeon, or mallards, you do NOT put decoys where you want the birds...

I would say that more important than the type of decoys, is how you set them up, and hiding... Hiding probably being the most important issue where I hunt.

5. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

Do you really think ducks are that smart?
    The only reason coot decoys work as well as they do is because or the color not the shape of the decoy. Throw out a dozen black jugs next yr and watch the magic.:yes:yes:yes

green with ring likes this.
  6. NW BIRDHUNTER

Not necessarily, however I hunt a lot of pressured birds on public land. Me and a buddy were already talking about the black jugs. We would like to set a water spread of black jugs and white paper plates on the land. Then we will sit back and watch the show!

Billy Bob and callinfowl like this.
  7. Delta Duckman

Delta Duckman Refuge Member

As stated by some in my opinion the best overall decoy is the coot. Everything likes hanging around with them and if you ever notice, at least in south Louisiana if you find coots you find food ducks like. Add a couple of spinners in the mix always a good thing to do. Happy Hunting

H20 Fowler - Forum help - Whatever you do on this forum don't mention any sort food that ducks may be attracted to within hundreds of miles of where it may be deposited - if you know about it, it is illegal and the FEDS are coming to your duck blind like the FBI at Roger Stone's house...

Billy Bob and creedsduckman like this.
  8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

The show you observe will most likely be a bunch of seagulls hovering over your spread.....which will look a lot like the city dump.

I put out what I've seen flying the day before and what I'd like to target.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  9. NW BIRDHUNTER

We shall see. We will also have a spinner or two out!

10. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

There was a guy here this year hunting and consistently killing ducks over a bunch of black crab pot buoys.