Pump question

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by LazyV, Apr 22, 2021.

1. LazyV

LazyV Refuge Member

I’m looking to pump water into an area that naturally floods on my property but don’t have much experience. I have a source of deep water roughly 50 feet from where I want the outlet to be. The area that floods will only support about 12-18” of water before it runs out due to the contour of the land. Early season it’s no big deal but late season it’s shallow enough with a slow enough natural water movement that it will almost freeze all the way up. I’m not trying to raise water level per se, just get more movement to prevent as much of it freezing. An aerator isn’t feasible I think due to how shallow it is. I was thinking some sort of submerged pump with a line to the flooded area might work? I can get power back there to run something continuously or at intervals.

Any of you with more experience have any wisdom to pass on.

2. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

dig or place a box hard sided type in a cut out deep enough to get the hood of the propulsion fender is just below the water surface and place a Mallard view ice eater with the metal stand frame in the box. Slope a wooden floored or metal based angled hard bottom ramp so that the pushed water from the circulation is pushed up the ramp from the submerged propellor in the mallard view thrust cone. the mallard view frame will be less than 36 inches high and so you need to get it below the surface. The box holding the machine needs to be 36 inches deep to get the machine low to /below the water level .

You can also custom wire/ make some trolling motors with props or run a prop on a well pump motor that is bolted in frame and runs with the shaft and propellor in horizontal position. in a shallow box frame. Used the well pumps and props for years before investing in the mallard view , which is a great machine.

3. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member

Agree, dig hole deep enough to support an ice eater! Can run a smaller one (1/2 hp) off 2000 watt imvertor generator. May need a feeder tank to run for extended periods of time.

Good Luck

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  4. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Run a trash pump.

WHUP ! Hen and Billy Bob like this.
  5. LazyV

LazyV Refuge Member

Thanks for the input guys. If anyone has any other ideas or followup to the ones already made I’m listening

6. StrmChzr

StrmChzr Elite Refuge Member

Nothing left to say really.

MG and DL pretty much covered past 20 years of duck marsh ice prevention. Many of us have tried “everything” to keep water open and 99% end up buying an ice eater..

7. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

Build a levee to keep more water in and raise the water level if u don't have a tractor rent one with a FEL and a grader box Buy an ice eater dig a hole and call it a day