Pumping water out of the ground?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by fallsflight, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Sam Ortmann

Sam Ortmann Senior Refuge Member

I don’t know where you’re located, but from the sounds of your water rights it seems like it’s somewhere out west. Water rights out west and back east are very different. The scarcity of water in the west leads to often complicated legal problems surrounding private ownership and usage of water. In the east, where the op is located, we rarely have too little water for that to become a problem, and actually often have to deal with having too much water.
    Water usage laws here can still be fairly complicated, but that has far more to do with legal impositions put in place by the state than it does with the seniority of private water rights.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  2. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

If it is possible to get water on your land, drill. Don’t ask don’t tell. In dry years we have pumped, I don't think anyone but us knows it.

Timber Hole likes this.
  3. Mudbug

Mudbug Senior Refuge Member

4. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member

People pump from the aquifers all over Missouri. We have an electric pump/well that has an 8” casing. Can pump our 20 acre impoundment up to an average of about 24”........varying depths exist as we pump/add water. Yes, it can be done provided you can tie into an aquifer. I’m guessing cost to drill/install/run electric/buy pump will run in the $20k range. We bought our place with everything already in place so just a rough estimate on cost.

Good luck

WHUP ! Hen and bullpinnie like this.
  5. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

6. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like a good ball park number
    We had the well drilled 6 or 7 years ago....have a pretty high water table and cost only was around 12K

Worth every penny.......like Timberhole said....if you can’t control your water level....all you have is a pond

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    WHUP ! Hen and bullpinnie like this.
  7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Thank goodness I don’t have to depend on a well! Would cost a fortune to run electricity out there or buy some type of large power plant to operate. Rainwater has really helped us out last 4-5 years in that it keeps interior ditch water level flush with the field. We will start flooding from there. Have a big lawnmower engine that we married up to a homemade belt driven 8” pvc pump that pulls water from a small retention pond that’s fed by a river ditch system. Usually less than a Benjamin in gas to fill her up, about 20 acres. Only downside is we have to be there to run and sometimes we have to wait a day for pond to recharge if we have the wrong wind.

8. WuChang

Geee....didn’t know how good we have it

we run an entire duck club,cabin( electric cook stove, interior lights, incinerating toilet, heat pump for the cabin), pump for the 50 acres ,yard light/ security lights and sump pump for the pit for less than $100 per season

Don’t have to depend on rain filled ditches,retention ponds and don’t have to stay up all night feeding a gas engine.

Thanks, life is good.........and we don’t have to use running a gas powered engine all night to drink a little whiskey and “branch water” :D

kdog likes this.
  9. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like y’all have winner, congrats!! But you’re missing out on a lot of the fun!

I would have never been able to afford 20k or 12k for that mater on a pump. That was my point. Had I not I found out a way to build my pond with only 20% of my own cash it never would have happened. I’ve not got $ like a lot of pond owners so I get by with what I can. I had to be thrifty and what I got works perfectly and am happy with it. But never have had to worry about any water (brown water at times though) or not stay up to run pumps. Actually our worry is having too much water because I’m exactly 1’ above sea level, live in hurricane ally, and yes, depend upon a homemade tide gate to keep it from back flowing into the fields. Ah the good life!

Learned a lot from the locals on the island over the decades and their way of doing things. They can build some pretty dog gone good mouse traps.;)

dog duck gun likes this.
  10. WuChang

Trust me on this......
    Various leases etc required creating all sorts of Rube Goldberg solutions ....been there,have hat,t-shirt and fridge magnet :yes

Spent many a night feeding tractors diesel so we could run PTO pumps to pull water from creeks and ditches....hoping the fire would keep the skeeters from biting enough to cause anemia or malaria

yeah...it was fun but by the time you reach my age, you come to the realization that maybe you don’t need so much “fun” just to kill a duck or to have an excuse to sit around a fire telling lies and having a wee dram of Scotch to cure what ails you

none of our crew have what Joe Biden says is big bucks.....we pool money, we have a lot of sweat equity and most of us are handy with tools and can get creative to layout systems to maximize what we have. That well is there because it allows us a lot of options during the season.
    Of course having a couple of heavy equipment operators as members helps for zeroing out the crop portions and placement of our water control stuff,throw in a HVAC contractor, electrician and some jack of all trades....well...we stretch a dollar as good as most and better than some.....only new member we might need is a grocery/liquor store owner :joker

It is all good brother
    just remember ....... a sore back at 50 years old responds to Advil

At 70.......there isn’t enough Advil in the world :yes :l :l :l

kdog, JFG and WHUP ! Hen like this.