Puppy advice

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by woodiefanatic, Apr 16, 2017.

1. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Elite Refuge Member

The new pup is doing well and learning faster than expected. She is pretty well house broken. Tries to pee once in awhile but the main issue I have is when I kennel her and leave. About 50% of the time she ****s in it and just gets it everywhere. I can't tell if she can't hold it or if it's some sort of act of defiance. She hasn't pooped in the house all week and she never pees in the kennel but she loves pooping in it and I'm not sure how to remedy the situation. Coming home to a poop covered dog is not a lot of fun either. IMG_20170414_124847240.jpg

2. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

How big of a kennel do you have relative to the size of your puppy? Also how long are you expecting your puppy to hold his poop? I think they have considerable limitations until they are older.

3. Dog guy

Dog guy Senior Refuge Member

The general rule of thumb is that a pup can be alone for how many hours it is months old.
    Messing in the kennel is the owner's fault. No dog wants to live in its own feces. Try to figure out her airing times. Make sure to give plenty of time from feeding to kenneling for a period of time, ensuring you give plenty of time to air.
    If she was messing up with urine you could check for a UTI.
    You just need to figure out her airing times. My guess is she would make a fuss and vocalize before making a mess in her kennel. If it becomes a habit it will be a tougher fix.
    Good luck.

4. woodiefanatic

She messes the big and little kennel it doesn't matter. She doesn't fuss much at all. She's done it at night too and she sleeps next to the bed. She's a very quiet dog. It's almost odd. Even for short periods hr or 2 she'll mess it.

5. gunut

gunut Senior Refuge Member

sounds like she just gets to upset and looses control.....keep at it....she will outgrow it....

6. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

We used a dog walker for Tucker when we were at work.

Three times a day she would come to the house and walk the dog. Basically let him out and play with him. Seem to tire him out so he would sleep.

He only had a few accidents. And the dog walker would clean up the mess.

$20/day as a small pup but when he was bigger $15 per walk which was a half hour.

I thought it was very helpful and worth it.

7. extra mud

extra mud Elite Refuge Member

Not sure what your feeding your pup or if you switched from what the breeder was using as those could all be factors. My dog when he was a pup had to go out every 1-2 hrs even though we were feeding him the same thing the breeder did. Heck we even bought the first bag though him . Anyway we Looked into other foods like Timberwolf and there was an immediate change in him.

8. extra mud

extra mud Elite Refuge Member

Otherwise I had to get up every couple hours to let him out and this went on for 2 weeks.

9. owendog

owendog Refuge Member

Speaking from experience, I would de-worm again

10. woodiefanatic

Vet said she had coccidia. Which is some form of worms or parasite. She's on medicine now and it has been a lot better. Being 25 and living alone to living with a little puppy around the house is a big change. We're both learning tho.