Puppy damage....

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by markd, Sep 30, 2019.

1. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

So, our 7 month old pup tore the *** off a table mount goldeneye. Normally I would not worry about fixing it, but it was the last duck our old girl fetched. Can be done with this (for a reasonable amount)? We don't shoot many GE around here but I could probably get someone to send me one (or I may get lucky this year and kill a drake). Any input would be really appreciated.

Thanks
    Mark

Goldeneye.jpg

2. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Not a taxidermy but have felt your pain. Had one of my labs tear the azz of of a cupped goose hanging down from a drop ceiling in the basement years ago. He did not chew up what he tore out and somehow I managed to secure it with wires and glue and manipulating the feathers and you can hardly notice. Funny thing was the make lab never liked any of the deer heads I brought home and growled at them. I never keep anything down low now to let the dogs get to them. My youngest lab now is very agile and almost cat like and have worried a bit. She ocassionally charges the tv when hunting shows are on. My wife thinks it is only a matter if time before she jumps into the flat screen to attempt to retrieve a duck or goose or chase a deer.

cholt likes this.
  3. cholt

cholt Elite Refuge Member

My lab will not go down stairs he is scared of all the deer I have. He was charged by a buck and flipped thru the air by him with some broke ribs, he want go near the hunting room. But I have some mounts in the stair well that’s ducks and he will sit at top of stairs and just stare at them for hours. I guess he is trying to figure out why the don’t move or something. As to the mount I would try to salvage the part. If they are gone just kill another GE and most taxidermist can attempt to fix it. Someone on here may even gift you one.

4. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

I will send you a few drake G.E. this season if you remind me to save them for you.
    They are a dime a dozen out here on our SF bay and sea duck hunts.

My last puppy liked garden hoses electrical cords, even if they were plugged in. And 2x6" redwood planks on the at the time brand new redwood deck. I was ready to kill the bitch. LOL!!!

5. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member

If you don't have much left other than what's in the picture, you'll need a new tail....preferably a bit more than the tail so the missing areas can be replaced. It can be done without a huge effort by a half-way competent bird taxidermist. I cut a wedge in the foam body and fill that with caulk prior to sewing up the skin just for that reason. Helps keep tails in place a bit more depending on the degree of "attack".

6. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Elite Refuge Member

Mark, like callinfowl, we can shoot plenty of these guys around here also. I can send you one if you want. I'll get in touch with you later this season to see where you stand.

7. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Elite Refuge Member

8. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Thanks fellas. callinfowl, I will be in touch.

Culprit...

Hank's crate pad.jpg

9. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Sucks about your bird but that's a pretty pup. He's got that mischievous look about him though!

markd likes this.