Gun Dog Forum Sponsors

Puppy training

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Wilgabeast, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Wilgabeast

Wilgabeast New Member

My 6 month old yellow lab is going away to the trainer this Sunday for 6-8 weeks . Do you guys think that will be adequate time for her first basis of training ? I’ve been working a lot with her she loves to retrieve in water and on land and knows her place command and forced fetch . The trainer is joe carrito
    Out of Wyndham ct and is great at whAt he does . When she comes back from the training we will be rite about in the middle of early goose season and two weeks from our first duck season here in Massachusetts and Connecticut

2. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Elite Refuge Member

Basics take anywhere from 4 to 6 months all depends on the dog could take less time...
    if the dog doesnt know basic commands sit,here heel and place then that could take alot longer than 6 to 8 weeks and you say the dog is force fetched do you know the process of FF? Stick fetch walking fetch and all that goes into it? Force fetching a dog properly could take 3 weeks sounds like you want alot in 2 months

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  3. Wilgabeast

Wilgabeast New Member

I certainly didnt know the process of it . But I brought remy to the trainers every few weekends for her to work with him and he showed me and put her through it

4. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I understand if budget is a constraint but the hunting with your lab will come. Make sure the trainer has adequate time. 3 to 4 months in initial training is the average. Don't short change the process.

5. Wilgabeast

Wilgabeast New Member

I don’t expect a fully trained dog in 6-8 weeks . I just want her to have the basics on which I can build on during the season and off season and then she will go back for training next summer for 8 weeks again

6. Wilgabeast

Wilgabeast New Member

Another thing I should mention is the trainer will only be working with remy for these 8 weeks no other dogs will be staying with him or be worked with . 8 weeks of strictly training my pup

7. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

The last twenty years, I have trained several retrievers to hunt and run tests. The line in bold
    suggests that your pup will be learning how to hunt "on the job". Duck hunting is unpredictable.
    Many have taken their pups hunting before they were ready. After a few of those experiences,
    SOME will realize preparedness will mean more than attempting to build a retriever on a not
    ready for prime time foundation.

However, this is a yearly routine that many seem determined to follow. :scratch

My last five pups did not go on their first duck hunt until they could run a simple blind and pick
    up a double. This should be tempered by the fact of having an older, prepared retriever ready
    for that season. Poor foundations are a "pain in the behind" to repair. :reader

note: This will not be the last forum thread dealing with "I am going to hunt my not
    ready puppy this fall."

The following is a link to Gunny's 1st Duck Hunt. He was ready.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111104083835/http://www.kwicklabs.com/GunnysFirstDuckHunt.htm

note: I will have two retrievers that will hunt this fall. Pounce is very experienced. Gigi will be
    two years old in December. It will be Gigi's first year hunting. She can run a double and cold
    blinds. Therefore, they will take turns and for starters, Gigi will get the easy days. :yes

2WIDGN likes this.
  8. Wilgabeast

Wilgabeast New Member

Just because you guys want your dog ready for hunt tests and field trials before you consider them ready does not mean that’s what everyone wants or demands . My dog is first and foremost a family member and a loved pet . And I’m going to work with her so that her and I can enjoy time together in the blind and she can retrieve birds for me and love doing it . If she’s not perfect and not up to YOUR STANDARDS that is fine with me because she will be great to me no matter how well she does . I just want to spend time with her and focus on her being steady more then anything the long blinds and things will come with time .... your expectations are not everyone’s expectation especially since I’ve only been waterfowl hunting for 3 years now . I just want a good buddy to share hunts with

9. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Here are a couple of insights.

1. I do not run field trials (most on this forum do not).
    2. There was a young man at my duck camp that said, "I just want a dog that will
    bring back a duck once in awhile." Wanting never got what he wanted.
    3. My dogs are not perfect.
    4. Most all dogs are family members and loved pets, too.
    5. At one time, I too had been hunting waterfowl for only three years. I would never want to
    go back to those times.
    6. It is not that difficult to have a well trained dog that is also a good buddy that
    is a joy to share hunts with.
    7. I am assuming that after you add another ten years to your present 3 years of
    hunting (which is a small drop in the bucket) you will become very addicted.
    8. Aim high.....your shots will more than likely be more rewarding.
    9. Lastly, everyone starts somewhere. Standards change for the better if one is
    determined to improve.

Do this and you both will become different than you are now. :tu
    Most of all....have fun. :yes

Everydaysdiff likes this.
  10. Wilgabeast

Wilgabeast New Member

Appreciate it !! Hopefully all of my hopes and dreams come true with waterfowl ! I’m already so addicted to it