pymatuning reservoir diver duck hunting

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania Flyway Forum' started by Coalfundsmyduckhunts, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Coalfundsmyduckhunts

Coalfundsmyduckhunts New Member

New to this site, live in WV close to the PA line. I’ve always loved diver duck hunting since my days as a kid in the Carolinas. Just curious to know, if there are any divers much on pymatuning lake or shenago lake? Don’t really want any spots, I’ll scout them, just curious if the drive up would be worth it. I also think I know the answer to this next question but I’m guessing my 17 ft mod v Jon boat is probably to small for Erie? Thanks in advance

2. spg

spg Senior Refuge Member

Pymie has a horse power limit. 20 hp. Shenango is unlimited. Shenango has a draw down of the water level, usually 8 foot from normal pool, Pymie doesn’t draw down much.
    Lots of divers at both lakes but mostly hooded mergansers are the predominant species. For numbers of birds Pymatuning is your best bet. As for Shenango I hunt there and only have seen one group of guys diver hunt, they get some shooting every time they set up.

both lakes are in the North West zone so make sure the season is open.

Coalfundsmyduckhunts likes this.
  3. Coalfundsmyduckhunts

Spg, thanks for the help buddy. Have you ever hunted at presquie island? I heard those blinds are private, but I thought to bout setting up around the island is it isn’t to rough?

4. Coalfundsmyduckhunts

Spg, I also looked up northwest zones seasons online and thought I’d share for anyone else who may wanna know. It is in right now. Thanks!

• Northwest Zone: Ducks, sea ducks, coots and mergansers, Oct. 9-Dec. 4, and Dec. 28-Jan. 8.

5. French Creek Fowler

French Creek Fowler Refuge Member

The Presque Isle blinds are by lottery, but if no one hunts them you can setup in them, double check this, but I’ve hunt empty blinds years ago, you also have to set up 300 yards off the peninsula proper or a blind spot, so you’d need a fairly big tender boat and a good layout boat(ufo style)

6. Coalfundsmyduckhunts

I gotcha thanks frenchcreekfowler! I’ll check on it and let you know!

7. Coalfundsmyduckhunts

Frenchcreekfowler, you still can hunt the blinds as long as the owner is not present per the Northwestern pa duck hunters page. Gonna try it tomorrow. Good luck all going out tomorrow.

8. French Creek Fowler

French Creek Fowler Refuge Member