Quail Sous Vide Legs

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by darren_oa, Mar 8, 2020.

1. darren_oa

darren_oa New Member

I am having a lot of success cooking breasts in the sous vide, but cannot figure time or temps with the legs. Fall off the bone is what i am looking for but nothing has worked. Any advice or recipes for Quail Legs?

tia, Darren

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

3. darren_oa

darren_oa New Member

I've scavenged the internet, cooking forums, and now trying here on the hunting forums looking for recipes. theres a famous restaurant in SF, literally called State Bird Provision, and their signature entree is Fried Quail Legs - which are out of this world, but friggin crazy expensive. Ive tried everything from 1 hour to 10 hours, and nothing seems to be working. my duck leg confit in the SV is crazy good, and i cringe when i hear guys just breast out their ducks and geese, but these damn quail are humbling. and whats worse, shooting a quail is kinda of a big deal (expensive, hard to shoot, and hard to feather and not a lot of meat), so im kinda bummed when i screw em up in the kitchen.

4. swifthunter

swifthunter Refuge Member

What temperature are you using for your legs? Try a hotter temp for longer should get better results. I know with chicken I go up to 160 for the dark meat but the breast I do 145

5. tomturkey

tomturkey Elite Refuge Member

I wish I could by bone in chicken thighs that did not have bloody bone. Boneless ones cost more than breasts.

6. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

I just did some chucker legs confit and it was off the chain. But I don’t care to do my confit in SV holds too much moisture in my opinion comes out much better in oven.

7. darren_oa

darren_oa New Member

@Swift hunter - my temps have ranged from 145F to 178F and just as broad a time range. I thought maybe I was overcooking them, but I always try one right out of the bag and they have all kinda sucked. nothing really different between 3 and 8 hours and anything less, and they were clearly undercooked. What are you thinking for times and temps?

@bird junkie - what confit recipe did you use? I like the SV for the simplicity of it. Any hints?

tia

8. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

Just kosher salt fresh thyme very thinly sliced garlic usually go heavy on garlic. Little bit fresh rosemary then vacuum seal and put in fridge for at least 24 hours then dust off seasonings a little bit then place in shallow casserole dish then I put some duck fat right on the meat and cover with olive oil. Bake at 170 till no bubbles are coming off the meat(that’s the water leaving the meat) takes any where from 8 to 12 hours. I also like to eat it on fresh waffles with a little syrup. Then I strain my oil for reuse works well

darren_oa likes this.
  9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Have you tried cranking the oil up to about 350 degrees and for a shorter time? :yes

10. darren_oa

darren_oa New Member

I think your on to something with the long fridge time and of course, with the 8-12 oil simmer. What I like about the SV, is that you skip that oil mess, but its obviously not working. Yet. I just SV some Spec legs and wings - friggen da-lishus. I cringe at all the breast less duck and goose carcass's thrown into the ditches.