Question about reload data...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by biscuiteater, Jan 1, 2004.

1. biscuiteater

biscuiteater Senior Refuge Member

When I loaded my first batch the other night, I used Loadbooks USA, Inc. "The Complete Reloading Manual for the .243 Winchester" 2000 edition to get my data. I used the information for IMR powders since that was what I was using. According to the IMR data, using 80 gr bullets, the max load of IMR4350 is 48.0 gr compressed, so I started with 43.5 gr. I now see that according to most other data from bullet mfgs show a much lower max charge for the 80 gr and that I was approaching or even exceding the max for all but IMR data.

What gives? I know that different brands of components will give slightly different results, but we're talking four to five grains difference here. Which data should I use to start from? If the IMR data was correct, then I was perfectly safe (reduced the max charge by 10% to start). If the others are correct, I'm lucky the damned thing didn't explode.

I downloaded the IMR Handloader's Guide from their website, and it doesn't even list the .243 Win in their data. It included Weatherby data in a seperate part, but it doesn't show any data for 80 gr bullets.

Am I exceding the max load or not?

2. Snake Jenkins

Snake Jenkins Senior Refuge Member

In my findings the loadbooks like you used can be grossly inaccurate on the powder charges (especially the max loads.).
    I like and use Sierra's, Hogdons, Nosler's and Lyman's manuels for all of my loading.
    You will have some discrepancy between the different books, but not an enormous one.

Snake