Question for airboaters

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by nbp, Mar 19, 2016.

1. nbp

nbp Senior Refuge Member

Can one of you guys tell me what the size of the barrels were that used to be sunk into the lake off of Ogden bay in the late 90's/early 2000's? I know they were bigger than 55 gallons (I could sit down in them without having my knees hit the sides) I'm just not sure how big. bonus points of you can tell me were to get them on the cheap.

2. rjefre

rjefre Elite Refuge Member

I remember seeing a few of those big round barrels back in the early 90's. I also saw a few big plastic garbage cans dug in around the BRBR (probably 90 or 120 gallon size). Most of them popped out though, and they are still out there after 20 years (half buried). The worst ones were made of steel, and they act like can-openers to the bottom of an airboat. I used to see quite a few pits out on the lake, but now they are illegal to install on state lands (like the GSL shoreline). The Pintail Duck Club still has some pits, but they are grandfathered in because they were in use before the law changed. In the future, there will eventually be no more pits on the GSL.
    R

3. Ben Elli

Ben Elli Elite Refuge Member

Those barrels you're talking about can be bought at Smith and Edwards if they still have any left.

4. mojo1

mojo1 Elite Refuge Member

Those barrels may be overpack barrels, they are made to put normal 55 gal ones in to keep from spilling hazardous waste in the event of a leak. I know they come in different sizes.
    Best source would be to check out some of the industrial supply places that deal in safety related items