Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Question for you Ole Timers ! Your best years ?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Flipinnpitchin, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Duckwise

Duckwise Elite Refuge Member

I can only speak for the North Columbia Basin in Eastern Washington State.
    Yes there were.
    One difference is there was alot more Local Production back then.
    We used to regularly have between 500,000 and 1,000,000 birds wintering here in the 70's and into the 80's lucky if we have 200,000 now.

2. butchduck

butchduck Senior Refuge Member

Da Olksgander hidin' out in the spanking new South
    1967!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    First time webfoots huntin' by my lonesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You learn alot when ya by yerself!!!!
    Also, popped my cherrie that year, lil'ol' local farm gal!!!!!
    1967!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. cajunduck man

cajunduck man Senior Refuge Member

Started in 1966 with a .410 (6 years old) in Johnson Bayou La. Have hunted all over Cameron, Calcasieu, and Jeff Davis Parish since then. Killed hundreds of ducks in the
    70's and early 80's with my "Sweet 16." Probably saw the most ducks during that time. I remember the sky almost turning black with ducks on Lacassien Bayou. That being said, my best years are every year because there are always memories to be made. From hunting with my dad, uncles, grandfather,and brother in the 60's (when only French was spoken in the blind) to the 70's and early 80's with high school and college buddies (hung over and talking about the "tail" that we were going after) to now...hunting with my 13 year old daughter, or with by two best friends and their sons. IMHO it's not about the number of ducks, but what you make of it.

4. DukVorkian

DukVorkian Senior Refuge Member

Ya...what he said :bow

5. Triple BB

Triple BB Elite Refuge Member

I don't know how you compare then to now. Back in the late 70's & early 80's when I first started, it was a point system. One hen and done, three ducks max. Now if guys around here don't shoot at least two or three, the day sucked. Last season was my poorest showing in 15 years. This year is looking much better, primarily because its the first time in quite a few years the river didn't freeze up by early December. Keeping my fingers crossed the river stays open for another three weeks...

6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Duck numbers go down every year, # of people hunting them goes up. I don't get it. We still kill ours, but we have to work harder (very hard, getting up at midnight, pushing across large mudflats, scouting for 2 days to put together 1 hunt, etc etc) every year. They just don't migrate south like they used to. The Old Timers around here say back in the 60's and 70's you could walk from end of the Mobile Delta to the other (~13 miles) stepping from duck to duck and never touch water. Nowadays if you drive that same stretch in the boat and see a few hundred you get excited.

Honestly I wish they would close the season for a few years. It would give me a chance to refocus my efforts and shoot a few trophy deer and would cause alot of the Foiles-wannabes to quit.

7. Camper

Camper Elite Refuge Member

I started hunting with Dad in early 60's and the best I would say was a period from 1970 through 1979. The pintails were the bird and I called that period the glory days as there was nothing we liked more than bluebird skies and hunting the pinnies. Those type days will never happen again due to changes that have taken place in the central flyway unfortunately.

Camper

8. beagle777

beagle777 Senior Refuge Member

1984 hunting of the Mississippi, it was a dry year so the ducks came to the river for water, and the weather was perfect for us, cold enough to freeze what still water there was but not so cold to freeze water with current. Got layed off from the week before the season till two weeks after.

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

My best year was in 1937. Then, they started up Ducks Unlimited. Everything has been downhill since then.

Signed,
    tripleb