Question on BPI load data for steel shot

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Kalbo1964, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Reloading Specialties Inc........! Use the website to see their catalog , it's a Great place to spend your money !

Order their Steel Shotshell Reloading Handbook , then read it from front
    to Back , Highlight some of the important stuff that you'll need to remember .
    You'll then be on the right track !

2. dla

dla Senior Refuge Member

Did you ever call BPI about that load? Btw, which version, which manual and which load number?

3. Kalbo1964

Kalbo1964 New Member

Yes they said that load was good to go. It’s load # L0AD# 140205-5443 and L0AD# 140205-5444 it on load of the week and their Rio manual

dla likes this.
  4. baltz526

baltz526 Elite Refuge Member

A lot of us believe BP is wrong on this load. Will it go bang? probably. Will the same components work better in a different mix. Yes. Why waste 10-12gr of powder? Why use a 1 1/8oz wad with 1oz of shot? Why put 44gr of powder on top of a primer designed for target loads? The load just makes no sense. It is illogical.

Dave in AZ likes this.
  5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

How many times in the past two or three decades have you ever heard BPI admit they were wrong on anything. I never have even after the 10 gauge 60 plus grains of STEEL powder blow up your gun load incident, as you know that really did happen to quite a few guys. BPI again admitted they did nothing wrong :l:l

6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Just to put this in another way , my 32 gr load in a Rio hull will do everything your 44 gr BPI load can do , with a lot less recoil !
    That's is why you need more than ONE reloading manual , to compare recipes ( like we do ) so we can ask questions of substance !
    There's a lot of experience reloading steel shot on this forum , it's not easy to pull the wool over some of these guys with Stupid
    Marketing claims that don't work the way they say !

7. Kalbo1964

Kalbo1964 New Member

I bought precision reloadings 12th edition and lightning steel today.

8. 10GAGENUT

The listed RSI Gold Medal hull 1 oz SR4756 load is a good one also, actual over the chrono was around 1490 fps average. Mute point now since SR 4756 isn't with us anymore but that's all you need in a one ounce load.

9. Kalbo1964

Kalbo1964 New Member

Right. I am limited on powder. Our gun store keeps failing to get it so I have to drive an hour and a half to find Asteel. They carry blue dot and 800x. It’s just a poor selection. But I’ll drive to get it.

10. 10GAGENUT

Don't know what state your in but a call the Alliant master distributor for you state/are my find someplace that sells STEEL closer to you.