Random Game Camera Question - Ants

Close Shot

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have a Wildgame Innovations camera that my neighbor gave me about five years ago, new in box. He was just a nice guy and had no need for it so gave it to me to use on my property. I also run Browning (my favorite camera brand), Stealth Cam and Moultrie with a total of ten.

What I have noticed is the Wildgame camera gets full of ants every year. This happens everywhere I put in on the property, the ants just come. The other nine cameras never have ants attracted and have been empty of them every year.

It is no big deal, I just brush the ants off but I find it very odd that the ants are only attracted to that brand camera. My question is, why does this happen? Do you think it puts out any type of vibration or light that brings them to it?

It is more of a curiosity than anything as it really gets me thinking whenever I see it. Thoughts?

Reactions: BJH

BJH

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have a Wildgame Innovations camera that my neighbor gave me about five years ago, new in box. He was just a nice guy and had no need for it so gave it to me to use on my property. I also run Browning (my favorite camera brand), Stealth Cam and Moultrie with a total of ten.

What I have noticed is the Wildgame camera gets full of ants every year. This happens everywhere I put in on the property, the ants just come. The other nine cameras never have ants attracted and have been empty of them every year.

It is no big deal, I just brush the ants off but I find it very odd that the ants are only attracted to that brand camera. My question is, why does this happen? Do you think it puts out any type of vibration or light that brings them to it?

It is more of a curiosity than anything as it really gets me thinking whenever I see it. Thoughts?
The Wildgame Innovations camera was just a “Sweet Deal”!

tripper

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I 'ant' got an answer for that question.

fowlwhacker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
All my browning cams were put inside of lock boxes except for one attached to a metal food plot stake in the middle of a food plot in my backyard. All of the cams in lock boxes got spiders in them. The one in the foodplot got loads of bird chit on it as the birds like to sit and chit. Not sure why aunts would go to one camera versus another. Just bought my first wireless tactacam trail cam and need to get it setup and put out to see how it does.

jjgoose

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My brother in law has a couple moltrie cameras and he swears the same thing with them. Ive got maybe 4 wildgame innovation cameras and have never had ants in them. Wonder if certain brands of batteries might draw ants to some?

widgeon

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
That's just weird.

Holesinthesky

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
We had the same thing.
Was told by a CS Rep.

Ants are attracted to the electrical current, and the cameras are not air/water tight, so the ants can get in thru the connections( charger connection), and that they can get underneath the gasket in the Door.

This was 10-12 years ago, and we stopped buying those sweet deals.

darkvibe

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about wild game cameras manufacturing processed but sometimes natural ingredients are used in plastic manufacturing like mold release agents and stuff. Maybe ants are attracted to that?