Rare earth magnet

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Ricequacker, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Ricequacker

Ricequacker New Member

Can a Rare Earth Magnet be used to detect a TSS or HW13 pellet?

2. bullet225ho

bullet225ho New Member

Yes, HW-13 isn't as magnetic as TSS....but it will stick to a magnet.

3. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Refuge Member

My rare earth magnets will not pick up HW13 pellets but I can drag HW13 pellets around on a flat surface with a rare earth magnet. HW13 shot is just barely magnetic.

If you are using HW13 shot it is a good idea to have a rare earth magnet with you because the Hot Shot shot tester doesn't recognize HW13 shot as being legal.

The TSS shot that I use is very magnetic so is the Federal Heayweight 15g/cc shot.

https://www.fws.gov/birds/bird-enthusiasts/hunting/nontoxic.php
    In the above link it shows that a rare earth magnet is the only way to test HW13 Tungsten Bronze pellets.

Fowler267 likes this.
  4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Tungsten is weakly magnetic so, yes, a magnet can be used to detect tungsten-based shot.

5. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Refuge Member

The TSS, Federal Heavyweight and Hevi-Shot that I have used is very magnetic, they jumo onto the magnet and I have to pull the pellets off of the magnet. My magnets will stick to the side of a loaded shell.

To separate all of the Federal Heavyweight shot from the filler beads and buffer that I have robbed the shot out of factory turkey loads, I just put a rare earth magnet in a bowl and stir it around for a few seconds and it gets covered with Federal Heavyweight shot.

I can pull all of the Heavyweight shot from five 1-7/8 oz Turkey loads pulled out of the buffer, beads and Heavyweight shot bowl with a my rare earth magnet in just a few minutes.

[​IMG]IMG_1978 by , on Flickr
    This is Federal Heavyweight shot stuck to my rare earth magnet.

Fowler267 likes this.