Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Real life experience with racism

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by tcc, Jun 6, 2020.

1. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I'm curious about what you guys see regarding racism in your everyday life. Is it as bad in your area as the media wants us to believe? How many of you even actually interact with black folks on any routine basis? What about other races/ethnicities? I live in a parish that's about 40% black, and grew up in an area and went to a school that was about the same. Being in sales I interact with black folks about as much as whites or any other race or ethnicity. Not a huge amount of any others so not much experience with them, at least not after college, but lots of daily interaction with blacks.

I certainly run across the occasional somewhat prejudiced person, but honestly not very many truly racist ones at all, and if I do they're just as likely to be black as they are white(without question the most racist people I've ever met have been black). Not to say I've never seen it; I have absolutely seen some honest to goodness hate-filled racist *******s, but they are by far the anomaly and pretty much considered trash even here in the deep south.

I've had discussions with a fair amount of blacks about the topic, and they have all pretty much agreed. Most have had some sort of pretty racist encounter a time or two in their lives, but don't see it as common or prevalent at all. Had a long conversation yesterday with my father in law's neighbor who happens to be a black cop. He said even with all the mess going on right now the majority of people that are all worked up are white folks, said most of the local black community feel it's not nearly the issue that the whites social justice warriors do.

So what's your experience? How are things locally in your towns?

dvegas, riverrat47 and widgeon like this.
  2. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I still see it though I'm not Black. I'm half Japanese in a GM town and I've had some run in's w/Citizen's to a point where I've had to call the Police. I had to go to a jobsite as the Contractor had some MS4 violations, he told me he didn't need a "Jap" tell him what he had to do. He was issued w/a 'Stop Work' order and a day in Court w/a nice $5000 fine! The Police Officer happened to be a friend & he wasn't too happy w/the "gentleman!"

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  3. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

In my town, the poor white trash meth heads get discriminated on more than the lower class black folks. The black folks are more honest. The white trash will steal anything in your back yard that isn't bolted down or chained up.

4. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I grew up in a mixed race neighborhood in the Midwest and learned racism from the black kids who would beat me up or try to beat me up because I was white. They were the first people to teach me about hate and because they were children and had no filters, they were happy to tell the white kids what their parents told them about white people. This taught me a lot in the early 1980s.

I thankfully live in a place where most of the nonwhites are foreign born and not as hate filled as US born minorities.

Nothing is going to make this better but war or some other major incident were people realize that their ideas are stupid. But then again we have southerners today that still talk about the civil war.

GetDuck and OneShotBandit like this.
  5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I had more problems w/Black kids in school, too! Isn't that supposed to be the "War between the States?" A Virginian guy corrected me several time when I was younger on that! ;)

widgeon likes this.
  6. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

I hate chitheads.......I don't care what color they are but they seem to be equally divided between all races and economic classes. I don't think I could pick one that is worse than the others.

Quarne, Banded1, yellowlab03 and 7 others like this.
  7. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

When I was younger (60's and 70's) I heard a lot of discriminatory talk and actions aimed at blacks, much less so now. Currently, I live in a rural area adjacent to a fairly affluent city (Napa, CA), but there is a sizable seasonal migrant farm worker and resident Hispanic population. I hear and see a lot of discrimination aimed towards them. Not sure why, because for the most part they are hard working folks just trying to make a better life for their families. I'd say that most of the problems are from entitled white kids and tweakers.

Downwind, black brant and widgeon like this.
  8. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Dont even get me started , I grew up in Gary ,Indiana.Might elaborate later.

9. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

Man, I got a story to tell someday about Gary.....we delivered a load of coke there that we got on an interdiction detail.....maybe 20 years ago or a bit more.. We ended up in this little hoosier dive diner to grab some lunch. Had 2 black detectives with us. They wouldn't serve our table.....and it turned into a big enough mess that pistols came out to stop the ruckus and get us out of there. :l

10. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Honestly. Almost everyone I know has some form of prejudice. But by far the most racists ones i’ve ever seen were blacks. Hating on the white man because I really don’t know.