rebuilding my marsh

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by ED Vanderbeck, Jun 7, 2020.

1. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Elite Refuge Member

they avg 1100 -1200 a year on 6 acres how many do they kill on 2500 acres at neosho. location location location is the key to it all. bet the numbers on the island probally are close to the wildlife area harvest as well on a lot less acres as well. they stop killing ducks on neosho in december and know one can figure it out maybe if the right type of high carb food were planted there the ducks would stay on the area. in the 70's and 80's when Dean Smith ran it there was no problems with the ducks leaving to feed in cold weather he had high carb food in there. once again we have been too over educated to not learn what the ducks want to eat when its gets cold. i get it moist soil is great for the spring migration going back north but worthless in under 20 degress so november is great there and then everybody else gets on them when 90%+ leave the area

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Could two inches of ice be one reason?
    Not easy to have waterfowl when there's no water.

3. ED Vanderbeck

open a hole you will kill ducks gauranteed chainsaw makes quick work of it moist soil plants are not what ducks are eating when it gets like that. so moist soil frozen over you are done shooting ducks until unthawing. but the ducks are going to high carbs to survive or they have to leave. for years i tried the lazy man approach moist soil and had little success while neighbors are wacken and stackin mallards over high carb food and heated ponds you will kill ducks. ask the lousianna boys they can tell ya about it. there will always be open water around me seen it -20 and still had some open water in a few spots cant killem from the couch because its to cold

4. ED Vanderbeck

tuleman reason is the ducks go to corn why harvest numbers plummet in dec and jan. i have killed them in neosho on the ice before they still can walk and eat corn above the water line thats right there is no corn planted there anymore. answered your question right there

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

You're saying the answer to my question is "No, two inches of ice does not affect duck harvest on a public WA." Is that right?

6. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

Neosho shoots 6,041 ducks, I wanna see what this place looks like that is 6 acres and kills 3,020. Must be one giant ears of corn. Not sure what habitat flats Love lake Shoots but it puts out lots of limits daily with not much food.

7. Mallets

Mallets Elite Refuge Member

Turn off the ice eaters and or heaters and let us know the results!

8. ED Vanderbeck

i never said 3000 birds from 6 acres its about half of that number but if the kill 6000 on neosho and these guys are killing 25% on 6 acres how big is neosho bet its aleast 1100 acres so run the numbers between the two tell me what is producing more per acre dont need a phd to figure this out. if my math is right that would be 4 ducks per acre at 1500 acres. that marsh would be 200 per acre tell me corn doesn't work. tuleman ice is devastating on a wma but if they can eat they will stay and not fly through to the south with open water available. how many have shot ducks on the ice before the ice eater era i have many times. you have 2 choices sit at home and gripe or do what it takes to shoot ducks. i am sorry for a misstatement about no corn planted at neosho anymore they have about 400 acres planted or going to plant thats about 1/3 of the acres there. this is stupid everyone blasting flooded corn obviously they have never hunted a good location of it. and it all boils down to location,location,location if ducks dont fly over it you are pizzing in the wind

9. shawbran

shawbran Refuge Member

Ed what type of ice eater you running?