Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Rebuilding the fire

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by LEWDOG, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

Likely clear it. But that's kinda a generalized question with a generalized answer. It's kinda site specific, it's also species specific.

2. LEWDOG

LEWDOG Elite Refuge Member

I do not plan to hunt the pond for my blind is on the saltwater creek about 100 yards are so East of it . Mallards , Black ducks , teal and wood ducks have visit the pond in years past and having food is my main want and there seem to be a natural flyway west of my island blind area to the pond . again thanks for your input it makes me think . LD

3. LEWDOG

The idea of food comes from the 200 acres that boarders this pond and blind location that I lost the rights to hunt . There are six other freshwater ponds that are much like my pond and if I have a food source I'm thinking I will draw the birds to me . Here in Mathews freshwater is like bait because of the 200 miles of shoreline of the Chesapeake Bay east and the Mobjack Bay west that surrounds the county . LD

4. ctm

ctm New Member

Depending on the pond’s water level, you could try wild rice. If you can get it established, whatever the ducks don’t eat should reseed. I am testing its viability this year in various locations on our properties where I can’t get adequate water control and the max depth is three feet. Wild rice is pricey, but could be worth it in the long run if established.

I ordered from River Refuge Seed in Oregon and they were more than helpful in answering my many questions.

5. LEWDOG

3 foot is where it stays mostly I will read more into it, thanks .LD

6. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

I would look into sago pondweed. Its not to late to get tubers and plant them. If you can get that established you can get a good number of ducks to use it. For something that is 3' on average thats your best bet. I have heard way more failures than successes on wild rice around here, though there is a good thread on it in the habitat forum. In the area that drains, I would open it up and look at planting some agric. rice. That way if you get some rain it will be fine and the ducks love it. Its pretty easy to grow as well if you can get good seed to soil contact or get it lightly covered and put some fert on it. Good luck. If you need any more advice hit me up im happy to help.

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Lew,
    Sorry you got the Covid. You are in my prayers for a speedy recovery.