Recipe help

KEN

Reaction score
OK.....sounds like hot cast iron.

bullpinnie.....recipe sounds good.​

Sam Ortmann

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I pretty much agree, except for cooking eggs/ omelets/ crepes. in that case they are hard to beat
i also have a hate for plastic spatulas and prefer thin metal ones, which you can’t use on the non stick pans. That being said, once I find myself at my own place and don’t live with family members or roommates that treat all cookware as communal and ruin the non stick coating on the pans, I could see myself keeping one around for the purposes you described.
I just about punched my current roommate in the head when I saw him attacking my wok with a fork.

bullpinnie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
BTW, If I am cooking indoors, I am "bronzing", not blackening. Too much smoke
Jamaican reggae musician Peter Tosh

Reactions: tcc

Larry Welch

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I hope to add a few more big cats to the freezer and would like to blacken a slab or two or three. I'll give the info a try.

OneShotBandit

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i also have a hate for plastic spatulas and prefer thin metal ones, which you can’t use on the non stick pans. That being said, once I find myself at my own place and don’t live with family members or roommates that treat all cookware as communal and ruin the non stick coating on the pans, I could see myself keeping one around for the purposes you described.
I just about punched my current roommate in the head when I saw him attacking my wok with a fork.
Dumbarses!

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sigh...you triggered another dumb Betty story.
When I first moved out with my girlfriend, later my wife, we did the dumbest thing. Shared and apartment with our best friends who happened to be bf and gf too. Seemed wise at the time. lol

My buddy John got out my nice cookware. Restaurant supply stuff. Professional cookware and brand new.
He scraped the non-stick off 4 skillets in one meal. I wanted him dead. Friendship over.
There's more they bought a German shepherd that destroyed everything leather.
Then Tina had a big party, girl's only, evicted me and John, forked the stripper, and he showed up with a pistol wanting to kill John. I should have let it happen but I intervened with a 12 gauge. Go home stripper boy.
Skillet cooking can get you killed?
Touch mine an it's possible.

CookMan

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Cast iron skillet hot as h e l l and real butter and CPP seasoning. I use the Chef Paul Prudhomme blackened redfish seasoning. Try this and it great! Go heavy on the seasoning for that crust. I also add some shrimp to top it off with a drizzle of Tasso Hollandaise sauce!

1. Place a large cast-iron skillet over high heat until very hot, about 10 minutes. It will get smoky, so turn on the exhaust fan and turn off the smoke detector.
  2. Meanwhile, pour 2 tablespoons of melted butter in each of 6 small ramekins; set aside and keep warm. Pour the remaining butter into a shallow bowl. Dip each fillet in the butter so that both sides are well coated. Sprinkle the spice mix generously and evenly on both sides of the fish, patting it on by hand.
  3. When the skillet is heated, place the fillets inside without crowding and top each with 1 teaspoon of melted butter. Cook, uncovered, until the underside looks charred, about 2 minutes. Turn the fillets over and again pour 1 teaspoon of butter on top; cook until done, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to warmed plates and repeat with the remaining fish. Serve immediately, with a ramekin of butter on each plate.

tcc

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Cast iron skillet hot as h e l l and real butter and CPP seasoning. I use the Chef Paul Prudhomme blackened redfish seasoning. Try this and it great! Go heavy on the seasoning for that crust. I also add some shrimp to top it off with a drizzle of Tasso Hollandaise sauce!

1. Place a large cast-iron skillet over high heat until very hot, about 10 minutes. It will get smoky, so turn on the exhaust fan and turn off the smoke detector.
  2. Meanwhile, pour 2 tablespoons of melted butter in each of 6 small ramekins; set aside and keep warm. Pour the remaining butter into a shallow bowl. Dip each fillet in the butter so that both sides are well coated. Sprinkle the spice mix generously and evenly on both sides of the fish, patting it on by hand.
  3. When the skillet is heated, place the fillets inside without crowding and top each with 1 teaspoon of melted butter. Cook, uncovered, until the underside looks charred, about 2 minutes. Turn the fillets over and again pour 1 teaspoon of butter on top; cook until done, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to warmed plates and repeat with the remaining fish. Serve immediately, with a ramekin of butter on each plate.
I'll second Prudhomme's seasoning, it's good stuff.