Recipe help

Fogie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have to do it outside, use hardwood and a big stainless griddle...no oil or butter in the pan for me, it gets so hot that they would ignite. We just brush the fish with melted butter before flopping in spices, blackens and cooks as fast as I can butter and flop more. Stripers and channel cats.
The layer of spices and especially the thyme/oregano etc don't let the fish even touch the pan to stick. Just about any blackening spice is plenty good here.

Last edited:

bullpinnie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I use the Chef Paul Prudhomme blackened redfish seasoning. Try this and it great! Go heavy on the seasoning for that crust. I also add some shrimp to top it off with a drizzle of Tasso Hollandaise sauce!
I should have suggested that. the recipe that I posted is pretty much a modified prudhomme recipe for blackening seasoning. when I was in college ( mid 80's,) I worked for a chef that had worked for PP at K-Pauls. He brought a lot of that style of cooking to the midwest when most folks north of the flavor line had never tried it.

bullpinnie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

Larry Welch

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I agree with Sam O. On a trip recently to Gonzalez I had blackened catfish with crawfish etouffee on top and it was awesome. I'd like to try and learn to prepare it

tripper

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Cast iron skillet hot as h e l l and real butter and CPP seasoning. I use the Chef Paul Prudhomme blackened redfish seasoning. Try this and it great! Go heavy on the seasoning for that crust. I also add some shrimp to top it off with a drizzle of Tasso Hollandaise sauce!

I could eat a piece of cardboard if it had shrimp on it.

Latest posts