Red Shoveler... Shovelers

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's it...

I truly believe it's the attitude that comes with it. The acceptance of what is considered not just acceptable but good. I've always shot spoons, but I'm also someone who has put in the work and know what it takes to shoot straight green. That level of patience has lost the respect it has earned with many, right along with the habitat that's been lost that allows us to accomplish it. Nobody can give me $-hit for a strap full of scrap ducks because I've earned my stripes. It has no teeth...but junk is junk.

I don't care what anyone shoots, but I may judge you for it just the same because better is out there. We should all want better, and respect those that put in the work to make it happen.
As long as you prepare what you harvest , to your liking , you'll continue being a sportsman ! Those who kill for fun and waste what they kill ,
are low-life's that ruin our sport ! Bottom line is , taking a creatures life for food is what they were put on earth for , not to be wasted !
Hunting experience does show , what you prefer to eat , some better than others but , still , a plump Mallard or a Northern Sprig hanging
in the barrel roasting is a lot better looking than , Ethiopian Spoonie any day !

Wild Rice

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Dang!!! Fully plumed shovelers are soooooooo hard to get!!! And you got a pile of em!!! Nice!

Wareagle1011

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I shoot them. Don’t care and never thought less of anybody who shoots them or any other waterfowl.

I choose not to shoot buffs or golden eyes. But if a person does more power to you.

Not interested in honkers either anymore.

Definately would shoot a red shoveler in the picture.
You see i dont understand why people dont like eating honkers

Wareagle1011

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've never understood why anyone cares what someone else legally shoots. Deer, ducks, turkeys, or anything else. If a person is happy to have it then it's a trophy to them. If I end it's life then I'm going to respect it enough to speak of it with gratitude and utilize the meat. This post is not a response to anyone at all. Hopefully sky's are full of whatever you prefer to shoot this fall. Shoot em all!! Spoonies and "cull bucks"
I shoot “ cull bucks” all the time. You cant eat the antlers. And after hunting public land my whole life you cant exactly always be picky either

DkKiller&Max

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Spoonies, its what made water swatting the right thing to do.
This one landed never left. I’ll never forget it.

Can’t wait for the season to get here.
BE4B7262-B0EF-4075-98BC-BCE391038EA2.jpeg
6DD8FB09-462D-41D1-A5B1-E98C1EC3ECD4.jpeg

Double Reed

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
You see i dont understand why people dont like eating honkers
I have shot lots of them over the years. Ate my share also. Not interested anymore.

I simply don’t want to pick or eat them anymore. Last 2 I shot by myself few years back I gave them away to a guy in the Parkinglot. After that I realized I did not want them and don’t shoot at them anymore. If I am with somebody else and a honker comes by I just don’t shoot . They get a pass from me.

My hunting partner shot this one last year and I never raised my gun.

Attachments

• 1A46C949-3861-492C-8DEC-FC4040EA1533.jpeg
    1A46C949-3861-492C-8DEC-FC4040EA1533.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29

Wareagle1011

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have shot lots of them over the years. Ate my share also. Not interested anymore.

I simply don’t want to pick or eat them anymore. Last 2 I shot by myself few years back I gave them away to a guy in the Parkinglot. After that I realized I did not want them and don’t shoot at them anymore. If I am with somebody else and a honker comes by I just don’t shoot . They get a pass from me.

You ever make jerky out of em?

Brottboss

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

They do make a fantastic pastrami, but I do agree to a point about what you're saying. Trigger finger made me do it.

albert001

Reaction score
Was listening to a podcast today that had Ramsey Russel on as a guest, and he was speaking about the birth story of the spoonzilla decoy, his thoughts on spoonies, and on the 4 different types of spoons. I had to look up the Red spoonbill and its a pretty bird in my opinion. Myself being in the first few years of waterfowling, it seems theres about a 60/40 split with guys who will and will not shoot spoons. I shot 5 last year, felt like i couldve shot 5000 though.

View attachment 349959

dguidry

Reaction score
Was listening to a podcast today that had Ramsey Russel on as a guest, and he was speaking about the birth story of the spoonzilla decoy, his thoughts on spoonies, and on the 4 different types of spoons. I had to look up the Red spoonbill and its a pretty bird in my opinion. Myself being in the first few years of waterfowling, it seems theres about a 60/40 split with guys who will and will not shoot spoons. I shot 5 last year, felt like i couldve shot 5000 though.

View attachment 349959
Wanton waste to shoot spoonies. They taste like crap.

Latest posts