Red Shoveler... Shovelers

Double Reed

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
You ever make jerky out of em?
I have and a lot of work. Got rid of my smoker when I moved so no more for me on that.

Just not interested in shooting them anymore so I pass. Like I said if I am with somebody then I just dont shoot.

Last one I picked I swore it was my last and then after giving away those two I mentioned was my realization that I should just not shoot ‘em just because. Lost the want to do it. Most of my duck hunting now is not in a goose area so that makes it easy.

Had a hunt planned for Canada and the deal was I would shoot all my partners ducks and he could shoot all my geese. Never went for work/vacation reasons but that was our deal.

Oh well call my crazy but honkers don’t interest me like they used to. This Red Spoonie would be on my bucket list and a picture on the wall for sure.

Skillet Shot

Reaction score
Was listening to a podcast today that had Ramsey Russel on as a guest, and he was speaking about the birth story of the spoonzilla decoy, his thoughts on spoonies, and on the 4 different types of spoons. I had to look up the Red spoonbill and its a pretty bird in my opinion. Myself being in the first few years of waterfowling, it seems theres about a 60/40 split with guys who will and will not shoot spoons. I shot 5 last year, felt like i couldve shot 5000 though.

View attachment 349959
I’m 78 and I starting decoying feral pigeons when I was 13. I and my buddy wrapped dirt clods with newspaper. Worked like a charm. I still shoot them 3-4 times a year, usually as a tune-up for dove opener. I make my own decoys-cardboard silhouettes and large aluminum drink cans, both painted in pigeon colors.
I use Mojo dove spinners. I make floats for the spinners, cover them with inflatable skins from old duck decoys & use them all waterfowl season. Happy Hunting, Boys!

teul2

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ima just leave this here.

13912702_10153795040116099_3582587562481893537_n.jpg

Fsbirdhouse

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Couple a years ago somebody shot a Spoonie in my blind.
It can be done I suppose, but I'd sure like to start seeing some Sprig in these piles.
You can dig and dig and all you ever find are Mallards
View attachment 351649

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Teal have been the only other by-catch that can hang with spoons when we're targeting pintails for telemetry study and banding. No one's told the spoons they shouldn't eat at the cool ducks' table.

You Southern Boys will do anything to be different ? A Spoon is a Spoon no matter where you hunt , rice fed , rice breast is still a spoon !
With good Napa Wine a Spoon still taste like a spoon , here !

teul2

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
You Southern Boys will do anything to be different ? A Spoon is a Spoon no matter where you hunt , rice fed , rice breast is still a spoon !
I disagree.
I've cooked many, many a spoon. And I don't bother to separate them from the mallards, greys, or anything. Because they eat the same things as those other birds, and they are not identifiable on the table.

DanL

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
It’s called a wildlife refuge. But you have to weed through the bufflehead and ring necks to get those 7 spoons.
True story! I shot a Bufflehead drake at Yolo Bypass WR a few years ago. Beautiful duck! Cooked it. I wasn’t sure I’d be able to use the oven again, it smelled so bad!

Rick Hall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

"The Shoveller walks prettily, and I have often admired its movements in the puddles formed by heavy dashes of rain in our southern corn-fields, where I have found it in company with the Wood Duck, the Mallard, and the Pin-tail. Its flight resembles that of the Blue-winged Teal; and in tenderness as well as in flavour, it rivals, as an article of food, that beautiful bird. No sportsman who is a judge will ever pass a Shoveller to shoot a Canvass-back..." - John James Audubon

(Those afraid of rice breast best peel their pintails, too.)

Latest posts