Red Shoveler... Shovelers

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
"The Shoveller walks prettily, and I have often admired its movements in the puddles formed by heavy dashes of rain in our southern corn-fields, where I have found it in company with the Wood Duck, the Mallard, and the Pin-tail. Its flight resembles that of the Blue-winged Teal; and in tenderness as well as in flavour, it rivals, as an article of food, that beautiful bird. No sportsman who is a judge will ever pass a Shoveller to shoot a Canvass-back..." - John James Audubon

(Those afraid of rice breast best peel their pintails, too.)
In Flight I have to agree , Spoonies can do some thunderous moves and can be a exciting target ! They do display some wonderful plumage colors
and can surprise the most experienced hunter in early mornings dem-light . We don't get many clean spoonies in the valley , most are bottom
feeders and do make a mess of a good looking strap . I would understand , with the spices you southern boys use , a spoonies favor in some Gumbo
would be no different than what my moms cooked up , in hers ?

DuckFan

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Wanton waste to shoot spoonies.
You don’t like them fine. But, this comment is ….. never mind. I try not to use curse words

chubby

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Never heard of anyone dying from rice breast.

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
You don’t like them fine. But, this comment is ….. never mind. I try not to use curse words
I'm just stirring the pot with negative remarks about spoonies but in whole honesty , those that shoot spoonies and enjoy their bounty ,
I applaud you ! I agree all game is pursued for the table in some way and as long as that isn't lost , as hunters , we are gifted with what
Mother Natures has for us . Hunters are a group of adventurous , determined , resourceful and crazy thinkers and we got to keep it that
way . Sharing our experiences with those who will replace us , is the fun part ! Always including young fellas , can be rewarding , giving
them a chance to learn the right way , of being a Waterfowler !

Kevin Burroughs

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shooting Spoonies = letting your little sister marry a Vegan who is a democrat.

Kevin Burroughs

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Big Daddy Gaddy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It's an average...if I shoot a spoon, I have to shoot a mallard. Two spoons, two mallards...etc. I figure that gives me a solid widgeon average over the course of a season. This only works with mallards. Every $-hit duck has an antidote. If you shoot a goldeneye you have to shoot a can. Shoot a gagwall you need a sprig to counter. Duck math can be tricky, but you can remove the stink if you know the equations.
Screenshot_20220813-083438_Gallery.jpg