Red Tailed Hawk

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by mrbill, Jan 14, 2019.

1. mrbill

mrbill Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]

Not too much happening with waterfowl over the marsh but plenty of hawks about. This one came close enough for a salvageable shot. Canon 5D III, EF 100-400mm II at 400mm. Don't have the rest of the data in front of me but as I recall was ISO 2500, 1/1250, f22.

Steve Borgwald and Irishwhistler like this.
  2. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

Really nice capture
    I was told the new 100-400 was a razor

f/22 sure gave a lot of depth of field

Lot of options in those settings

3. mrbill

Thanks. Yes I am liking that lens. It's almost always on the camera. I need all the help I can get. After seeing the reviews I finally caved and bought the gen II. I had played with high ISO a bit in the past on slower targets with good success. Have some nice early morning foggy pics of grazing elk that way but after seeing your birds and the settings you used decided to make an effort to apply that approach to my in flight photos. Thanks.

4. WuChang

When I saw f22 in the settings, I expected to see some noise in the sky.....even if it was overcast but it looks pretty clean

Way back when,if you wanted to know if you needed to clean your sensor and you did not have a lighted viewer,you would put the sun to your back and stop down to f16,f22 or higher and take a shot of the sky.

Then bring it into Photoshop or other editing software....bring up to 100% and look for the dust spots.

Looks like you have any noise on the 5DIII under control...congrats

5. mrbill

That camera really does do a good job with regards to being low noise so after shooting a 7D (early version) for several years and having to deal with the noise in that thing the 5D is a real treat. Have used Topaz products InFocus and DeNoise with good results. Am starting to try Neat Image on some images and will see how that works. Yes, the sky does still do a great job checking for dirty sensors.

6. WuChang

When you 'finish' your evaluation of Neat Image, let us know. Hazeghi and Morris use the Pro Version -- so it may be an apples to oranges comparison otherwise.

7. mrbill

Will do.