Reducing Bag Limits?

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Tuleman, Nov 15, 2021.

Would you be willing to consider Kansas adopting:

1. Reduced state-wide daily bag limits to 3 ducks/Canada geese

85.7%
  2. Reduced state-wide daily bag limits on only mallards to 3/day

14.3%
  3. Reduced daily bag limits to 3 ducks/Canada geese on State & Federally controlled areas only.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Reduced daily bag limits to 3 mallards/day on State & Federally-controlled areas.

10.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kfactor312

Kfactor312 Refuge Member

i dont blame the landowner or tenant for leasing their ground, it could pay the property taxes or land payment or keep them going on lean years. To me it has become such a money grab and basically has become a big business. land 20 or 30 years ago that wasnt good for anything you were lucky to get a few hundred a acre for now sells for almost as much as good crop ground these days. If its gonna be treated as a business it should have the proper liscensing on the leasee and leaser thru kdwp. i would think as a guide you should be required to carry some kind of liability insurance so if an accident would occur the land owner isnt responsible or liable.

2. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Elite Refuge Member

While most business’s choose to carry insurance there is generally no law that requires it. The landowner should be getting an insurance certificate naming them as additional insured. I’ve said it before but it sounds like you need to start a campaign to educate your landowners but that’s not the issue being discussed.

3. Old Critter

Old Critter Refuge Member

Liability insurance is an issue between the landowner and lessee. If the lessee is an outfitter, insurance is an issue to be addressed between the outfitter and guest.

If you think public hunters are going to drive outfitters out of business, your sorely mistaken. Even if outfitters moved on, that private land will never re-open for freebie hunting. Not ever.

If you don’t like the state of public hunting, then give up the sport or buy your own land. With or without nonresident hunters the public land in all states is crowded when there are birds around. You need look no further than Arkansas to know this is true.

Timber Hole and SEKhunter like this.
  4. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Elite Refuge Member

Ya, that's all you need, is to scare the hell out of the land owners. Making them think that they are going to be sued because people are hunting on their land. What do you think that will do for the average Joe trying to get permission. You'll get more no's than you can shake a stick at. This is a pay to play sport. You get what you pay for. You want to only hunt public land, you'll get your money's worth.

redjones and Kansan like this.
  5. Kfactor312

Kfactor312 Refuge Member

Lol you don't have to worry about trying to get permission, it's not like the good old days, around here if it's worth hunting it is usually leased. If you read what I said no harm no fowl, I said the guide be required to carry the insurance to protect the landowners.

Don white likes this.
  6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

If the landowner doesn't know he could be liable, then he needs to be told. Keeping it an ugly secret helps no one.

Don white and Kfactor312 like this.
  7. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Elite Refuge Member

Oh, I'm sure they're more than aware of the possibility, but it's like reminding some one tax time is coming up. It's not going to help the cause, or set them in a happy mood to share.

Do you know you could loose your farm from someone hunting on your property and getting hurt. Oh, by the way, how about letting ME hunt.............:eek:

8. jayhawkmarauder

jayhawkmarauder Senior Refuge Member

if I remember right kansas passed a statue that relieved a landowner of liability if no money passed hands.

Renobber and Kfactor312 like this.
  9. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Elite Refuge Member

If that’s true that’s the type of info that needs to be reinforced. I’m sure many have either not run across that info or forgot!

10. SEKhunter

SEKhunter Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Jayhawk, is like to read that statue, I’ve never heard of it and been a landowner for many years. Our local sheriffs department would like to see that also I’m sure.