Regional Director – Louisiana Area

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by Scott - Delta, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

no organization is required to find a soul in need and provide comfort. It feels really good too.
    You don't even have to look far.

2. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

He asked for a transfer to the Kansas Region????
    Those boys say y’all are over running the state and killing “their ducks” :l :l :l

borntohunt likes this.
  3. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

In all seriousness when raising bucks became more important than raising ducks to DU lots of folks lost interest in Louisiana. I was all DU until the NAWMP rolled out and DU began lessening their focus on the breeding grounds and began doing conservation work any where any time if the money was right. Yeah they still talk a good game but looks at the acres conserved totals year by year and see where the work is getting done. Hence the bucks over the ducks mantra. And why do I say this? Because 90% of what makes a duck a duck happens on the breeding grounds. Before anyone says it spare me the healthy hens arriving on the breeding grounds lay more eggs statement. It's the temporal potholes on the breeding grounds that drive the success and failures of nesting hens. That's where they find the food sources that are primarily responsible for egg formation and laying success. Without these temporal wetlands duck hunting a we know it today is over. Nothing is more important! That's why this Louisiana DU minion stopped carrying water for DU. With all that said DU is a professional organization and they do good work by in large. That is why I remain a member in good standing today and have the TEE-Shirts and Pull-Overs to prove it.

DComeaux and WuChang like this.
  4. Tucan

Tucan Senior Refuge Member

DU sucks when it turned away from raisings to killing ducks. it was about insuring the resource to funding the killing.

DComeaux likes this.
  5. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Elite Refuge Member

when did that happen been a senior volunteer in my state 40 years never got that memo. please expound on it kinda sounds like someone's butt hurt about something. never seen a memo the mission statement changed to killing over providing habitat for waterfowl

6. ED Vanderbeck

we need every group out there working to secure habitat for waterfowl for today Tommorrow and forever. prove me wrong every duck you shoot at some time in their life cycle has not benefited from DU or Deltas conservation efforts.

7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Took me back to 1985, when duck numbers, had crashed but DU was lobbying against raising point allotments from a low of 10 to 20 on the grounds that it would do more damage than good by hurting funding for the USNWR system and DU's conservation efforts, and Field & Stream's then-Conservation columnist, George Reiger, pointed out that, even using the most inflated of estimates, our refuges and DU were only producing 5% of the flight. That, at a time when every DU function I'd attended had assured me that we, the membership, had saved the ducks.

Could just be that having long taken too much credit has backfired into taking too much blame...

(Tried to link Reiger's article, but it was apparently too long. Google Books for October 1985 should get anyone interested there.)

WuChang likes this.
  8. ED Vanderbeck

what I am saying your ducks have sit their *** on DU or Delta projects somewhere on their migration. 15 million acres DU has conserved not sure on Deltas but it's substantial. I was not saying ducks were raised on a Du project but have utilized 1 in their migration. if they come down the central flyway every major stopover place in Kansas has benefited by DU monies I know for a fact this is true, Missouri the same way my guess. without the conservation work of groups like these 2 I would hate to think of the situation waterfowl would be in and if we would be able to hunt at all

9. Biggar2000

Biggar2000 Senior Refuge Member

When you go to where the ducks breed and raise their young and you look at what Ducks Unlimited and Delta mainly Ducks Unlimited do, your eyes are opened.
    Get on the ground and see the proof in Saskatchewan and realize that the farmers will and do take over potholes and plant them and then they are forever gone.
    Go find a hen pintail nest miles from the water in the farmers field and know that she will get mowed and lose that nest and realize what Ducks Unlimited does to help that species is a eye opener. If the breeding habitat goes then the birds go. And the farms in Saskatchewan are giant and are working towards the dollar, not duck habitat, so every little bit of conservation helps.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.