California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Reloading

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by MAKAIRA, May 8, 2015.

1. MAKAIRA

MAKAIRA Elite Refuge Member

Just curious if anyone knows of a some what local stores that might have some reloading goodies?Mainly looking for powder(IMR 7828ssc) and and Primers(Federal #215 large rifle).Hard to find a mail order with both in stock an two different hazmat fees.

2. brn2hnt

brn2hnt Elite Refuge Member

Kittles

3. MAKAIRA

Thanks but no luck.

4. gulicemo

gulicemo Elite Refuge Member

Sportsmens Warehouse usually has a steady stream of powder and primers. Supply seems to be getting better compared to 6 - 10 months ago.

5. orion 1

orion 1 Senior Refuge Member

Sportsmen's Supply in Campbell might be worth a try.

6. LHudson

LHudson New Member

Petaluma Gun and Reloading Supply isn't too close to Aptos but might be worth a try.

7. ducslayer

ducslayer Elite Refuge Member

RCBS in Oroville.ca.

8. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

Tim:

Places like Kittles, Sportsmen, Bass pro and the like are grossly overpriced. Rifle powder is easier to find. Shotgun powder a way different story.

Best way is to find a on line site. Certain sites have better prices on different components than others. Depending on what one wants, the person just has to sift around. Certain places I may get primers from but nothing else. Depends on what I'm looking for and I do plan it out to be able to buy in bulk.

First, if ordering powder and primers together you should only get the haz mat fee one time. Second, if you can find a friend or two looking for supplies and lump a order together that makes it better. I've at times found that even with a haz mat fee, its cheaper than spending my time and fuel.

If its being shipped UPS, talk to your driver. Being home or making arrangements is a good idea. Never met a UPS driver not willing to do something extra. Fed ex, thats hard to do as routes and drivers change often, residential wise.

Recobs, Rogers, graf and sons, Gamelia (sp?), Natchez, 3rd generation are some of the sites that I frequent. Some gun clubs like Diablo have competitive prices. Others, not so much.

9. SliderShooter

SliderShooter Elite Refuge Member

IMR 7828ssc shouldn't be too hard to find online. Percision Reloading has in stock for 25.99 for a 1 lb can. Add the hazmat fee and shipping to a one pond can, it comes to about $69.00. Usually, if you can find powder in-store, it's about $30.00 for a pound. Gun shows are a good bet for powder, and there's always GunBroker.com, just depends on how bad you need it.

Keep in mind that when shipping powder, UPS will drop it without a signature but FedEx demands that you be home to sign for the package.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  10. MAKAIRA

Thanks for the different ideas.The powder seems very available but the primers are proving to be difficult.I was hoping to find it all in one spot and one hazmat fee.I have tried Cabelas,bass Pro,Powder Valley,Brownells,Midway,Sinclair,Nanchetz,and a local couple.
    It's all part of the fun:nutz