Rem Arms

NW BIRDHUNTER

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
With all the non toxics out now the 10 is dead !
It might be out of the equation for those who can't handle it, but it is here to stay. With the right man behind it, it will go where no 12 gauge ever will.

CanardNoir

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
What's a VM Pro 2 ?
I'd be more concerned about the availability of reasonably priced shotshells for ducks & geese, than new production of a long-time unavailable shotgun. Besides, the Turkish knockoffs are likely a better investment and are much lower priced...case-on-point is the Model 870 lookalike being made by SDS Imports.

CanardNoir

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'd be more concerned about the availability of reasonably priced shotshells for ducks & geese, than new production of a long-time unavailable shotgun. Besides, the Turkish knockoffs are likely a better investment and are much lower priced...case-on-point is the Model 870 lookalike being made by SDS Imports.
And no matter what - any 'new' production with the Remington Arms name will not be your-grandfathers fowling piece and while it may be CAD-CAMed & CMCed with modern tech - it will not be crafted by the same as crafted by those who made the brand 'great' 50-60-70 years ago.

stoneyhu717

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’ll agree that shot shell availability is a concern. Affordable is a relative term. I seriously doubt we will ever see 12 gauge duck loads sold in the $10 range again. Even the cheap stuff has doubled in price over the last couple of years, and inflation will only increase prices.

As for Turkish guns being a better investment, I disagree. Yes Turkish guns are generally less expensive, but as a whole aren’t as reliable either.

Just about anyone who has any real experience with the VersaMax knows just how well suited it is for waterfowl hunting. It’s extremely soft shooting, and reliable. The gas system is simple and very clean running compared to other designs. There are no Turkish made autoloaders even close to being comparable to the VM.

I own a Turkish made Sa-08 and think it’s a great little autoloader, but the VersaMax is a much better shotgun. Esepecially for waterfowl hunting. I have 9 autoloaders in my gun safe. 3 have never had a failure to cycle. 1 is the 20 gauge 390 silver mallard. The others are the 2 VersaMax. It doesn’t matter what ammunition is run through them. They’ll reliably run everything from low brass cheap Winchester universals, to heavy 3.5” goose loads.

Last edited:

Mack270

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I don’t think Remington quality slipped as badly as the internet made it out to be. They made some bad designs in new guns but the core models functioned as well as the older ones. I have 870’s that range from the 1950’s to 2015. My worst one is a 1980’s model Wingmaster magnum that has a terrible action. I have one Express Waterfowl from 2013 that needed a replacement extractor. It worked fine with brass based shells but hicupped with steel based. Hardly a terrible problem as I doubt there were many steel based shells when the 870 was designed. The worst mistake made on the Express models was the finish.

I’ve also shot several 700’s made in the last 15 years and never saw or heard of an issue aside from the recall being mentioned.

The V3 was poised to be a great shotgun and I only wish I had bought one sooner. I picked one up this year and have been very impressed with the light recoil and handling. My best hunting buddy has been using a pair for five years without a hiccup.

As for RemArms, time will tell. I wasn’t impressed with the camo wrap on a recent production 870 I saw but otherwise the guns looked fine.

stoneyhu717

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Alldrakes as it pertains to the V3. I wasn’t overly impressed with the V3. I did shoot it well, and the recoil management was good too. However, the bolt design did seem to be a weak point. My biggest area of concern was with the scoring on the cam pin after only a few rounds fired. I kept it well lubed and it still showed wear early on.

I also experienced blowback, but it really didn’t affect me much. Applying black tape inside the forearm where it makes contact with the receiver took care of that issue.

My other complaints were the small safety, and stiffness of the mag tube. A safety like what comes standard on the VM would be a better option on the V3. An aluminum shell follower may have fixed the shell loading issue. I didn’t keep mine long enough to try it.

I think it’s a good design, but can use a few improvements. Remington fixed the blowback issue before going under, but I’d like to see RemArms at least address the cam pin issue before I consider purchasing another.

CanardNoir

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’ll agree that shot shell availability is a concern. Affordable is a relative term. I seriously doubt we will ever see 12 gauge duck loads sold in the $10 range again. Even the cheap stuff has doubled in price over the last couple of years, and inflation will only increase prices.

As for Turkish guns being a better investment, I disagree. Yes Turkish guns are generally less expensive, but as a whole aren’t as reliable either.

Just about anyone who has any real experience with the VersaMax knows just how well suited it is for waterfowl hunting. It’s extremely soft shooting, and reliable. The gas system is simple and very clean running compared to other designs. There are no Turkish made autoloaders even close to being comparable to the VM.

I own a Turkish made Sa-08 and think it’s a great little autoloader, but the VersaMax is a much better shotgun. Esepecially for waterfowl hunting. I have 9 autoloaders in my gun safe. 3 have never had a failure to cycle. 1 is the 20 gauge 390 silver mallard. The others are the 2 VersaMax. It doesn’t matter what ammunition is run through them. They’ll reliably run everything from low brass cheap Winchester universals, to heavy 3.5” goose loads.
Reliable -Boom, Boom, Booms! - has never been a problem with either of the two (2) Turkish knockoffs I own. Plus I'm only about $650 down in their total investment...

Latest posts