Remember this junk?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Out of focus, May 11, 2021.

1. Dr Duk

Dr Duk Elite Refuge Member

Isn’t the very expensive TSS loads duplex?

2. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Here are a few of my pattern numbers with the 3-inch Remington 1 7/8-ounce SP 4X6 Duplex lead load.

It showed it could put up good turkey killin' pattern density numbers at 40 yards. However, since it’s comprised primarily of lead No. 6s the load lacks ample pellet energy to be an effective 40+ yard performer. The way I see it, these multi-shot-size loads have no more effective range than the smallest shot in them. Putting a few lead No. 4s (49 pellets) on top of a load of lead No. 6s (336 pellets) does not make it a long-range turkey killer. There simply are not enough lead No. 4s present to consistently effect long-range patterns.

40-YARD PATTERNS from a 12ga 870 w/ Remington Turkey Super Full Extended Choke (.063-inch constriction)
    Rem Duplex 3" 1 7/8 oz #4 x #6 lead (385 pellets) / pattern 305 (79%) / S/CV hits 4.2

Good luck!
    Pattern 1, 12ga 3 Rem #6 x #4 Duplex, 870 Rem SF .063 40yd.jpg

Tuleman and Billy Bob like this.
  3. Jim Atlas

Jim Atlas Senior Refuge Member

There are 3 reasons to duplex two or more sizes of steel shot as I see it.
    1) Mere inventory control. You're loading some #2 steel loads and come to the last shell with only 400 grains of shot left. So you add 92 grains of #3 steel, mark the shell "#2x3" and put in the box. I have several of these shells rolling around.
    2) Pattern control. There are some who claim that if you put, say, 92 grains of #2 shot on top of 400 grains of #4 shot, the smaller will draft behind the larger and produce a tighter pattern. And conversely, a few larger pellets under smaller ones will cause the pattern to spread. In either case, it's treated as a load of #4's. I've never tried this myself.
    3) Combination duck and goose load. To my mind, the only version of this that makes any sense would be 438 grains of #B (82 pellets) x 164 grains of #4 (72 pellets). Both shot sizes have similar range limits for geese and duck respectively, and shot count in shell would be a respectable 154 of which there would be enough for the goose. Obviously not optimal for either game bird, but it would probably work. Would it work better than a load of straight #1's? Hard telling, not knowing. As with all combo loads, it's a pile of compromises. Again, I've never tried it.

None of these are bad reasons, and I'd love to hear someone's results (patterns, etc.)

There are other reasons to duplex shot of different metals of course (viz., Fe x W).

Dave in AZ likes this.
  4. Fogie

Fogie Elite Refuge Member

Sweet OD green /black based hulls, if I remember correctly. Suffered through maybe three boxes before blasting the rest in camp.

5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

upload_2021-5-15_9-50-23.jpeg

This is why the HTL pellets are taking over the turkey hunting scene as guys are making solid kills at heretofore unimaginable ranges.

Fogie, dog duck gun and Joe Hunter like this.
  6. Northhunter

Northhunter Senior Refuge Member

I have mentioned this a lot in the past, but my "pet" steel load was 70% 3's over 30% 5's (1 1/8oz). It shortens the shot column, boosts pellet count, and IMO maximizes drafting / velocity retention for the back end of the shot charge (5's). Through a briley IM it throws a nice dense core @ 40yds, and has taken birds at 50. I loaded it for smaller birds at range, and it worked. Has also taken geese (cleanly) and taken care of crippled mallards on the water a long ways off.
    Jokes were made on here about using 5's, but the load works too good for the 3's to be doing all the work. I shot it for 10-15yrs before developing the 20ga addiction.

Fogie likes this.
  7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

dog duck gun likes this.
  8. Northhunter

Northhunter Senior Refuge Member

To be fair, hevi-x isn't steel. And wicked wing is just re-branded xpert steel in a different wad.

Kent, Rem, Fed, Fiocchi, Estate, Challenger etc. are all gonna have basically uniform steel shot. Only Win. Xperts and Browning Wicked Wing (both Olin products) use cast steel shot.

9. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Okay?

If they were a cast product, wouldn't they all be identical in size and shape?

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  10. Buster_AZ

Buster_AZ Senior Refuge Member

I wish guys still bashed Hexi X on the online forums. That was the good old days when this misguided influence lowered its sales and allowed me to buy it at severe discounts :tu Lol, the jig is up now and the chit flys off the shelves at full price! Guys would cry it only a little denser than steel, so I can’t be that good. I suspect these dudes didn’t pay much attention in physics class.