Remington 870 12ga (as I posted on Facebook. LOL...)

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by ButchA, Nov 12, 2019.

1. ButchA

ButchA Elite Refuge Member

Hmmm... I posted this yesterday on Facebook and have not gotten banned by them (yet), but who knows.

"Since there was a gun show this weekend at RIR, I wanted to make yet, another Pro-2nd Amendment posting on Facebook:
    Who on here DOESN'T own the famous, the ubiquitous, the "Ford F150 of shotguns"... The one, the only, the Remington 870 pump action 12ga shotgun!"
    (2nd post/comment by me)
    "Oh, and before anyone freaks out... It is unloaded, the chamber is open, and the pump action slide is pulled back (opening the chamber)."

[​IMG]

So, with that said, who else is a fan of the classic Rem 870? It's everywhere! Every deer camp, every duck blind, all across the good ol' USA, the 870 is around! :D

bill cooksey likes this.
  2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

IMHO those were a sorry excuse for The Real 870 Wingmaster....but , I agree they do look like a Ford ! Thanks for the Pic .

ButchA likes this.
  3. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

The old Wingmasters were great guns. I liked the special purpose magnums they use to make too. They were alot better than the 870 express. Anything new from Remington I'm skeptical of.

dog duck gun, Drake91, JP and 2 others like this.
  4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I have an 870 20GA for turkey. Not one single person I normally hunt with owns one for waterfowl. No idea why. They aren't bad pieces, but my 20 was prone to rust, before I spray painted it.

ButchA likes this.
  5. gascrewgunn

gascrewgunn Senior Refuge Member

Short story...hunting as a guest in a blind in AR couple years back...me and 3 others...Benelli next to me goes down...Beretta next to him goes down...cussing ensues...and then one looks at my circa 1970 2 3/4" Wingmaster and says I used to have a gun like that....to which the 4th person adds "You mean a gun that will shoot straight OR a gun that will shoot at all"!
    To which the offended party responded "you got me on both counts"
    They are super dependable. The Wingmasters had polished parts and were not to prone to rust. The Express not polished and rust in a hurry.

JP and ButchA like this.
  6. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

:tu

ButchA likes this.
  7. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

A lousy camo paint job, will make the Remington 870s Express's look much better. The rough finish on the newer 870s helps the spray paint stick to the gun.

Fowler267 and ButchA like this.
  8. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Have my original 30" fixed full 3" Wingmaster from early 70,s. Been thru a lot of changes since bright & shiney blued. At mandate of steel had barrel cut to 25 1/2" and truchokes installed. Latter had gun parkerised and added synthetic stocks. After that cut down original walnut stock to youth dimensions for oldest son to use when he transitioned from 20 to 12. Eventually turned it into dedicated turkey gun with scope on cantilever mount. Have killed a ton of turkeys with it out to 50 yds. 10 years ago picked up a new 30" Remchoke barrel for it when Remington had a sale. Damn thing shot high on aimed shots at Target. Sent back to Remington and of course they said it fell within their specs. Couple years ago bought a used express 28" barrel for $25 bucks and that one shoots like its supposed to. Had to do a little drop at comb adjustment a few years ago when I started wearing glasses full time but once again I can shoot it pretty well. Haven,t had the gun out for ducks as I keep reaching for my M2 but one of these days I,ll get that ol girl out of retirement and bust some feathers with her that don,t gobble! And I,ve got an Express 20 that is a poor replacement for that Wingmaster. Rough action, rust when you look at it. Setting it up as a turkey 20 for this spring.

ButchA likes this.
  9. ButchA

ButchA Elite Refuge Member

You all got me on my 12ga Express... It has never been in a duck blind (yet), but has been everywhere else. I keep it coated down with Ballistol to prevent rust. One trick a gunsmith told me about the Express's and the rough action, is to gently hone the chamber and first 4-5 inches of the barrel. Take #0000 steel wool wrapped around a 20ga bore brush and ever-so-gently rub around and around and around. Remington (for some stupid reason) leaves that section of the barrel/chamber not quite as smooth as it should be. Reports of spent shells getting stuck in the chamber have been filed and/or mentioned to gunsmiths.

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

You don't have to be 'gentle'. This is recommended for lots of guns, for a variety of reasons. Screw that brush on a rod, put it in a drill, and go for 5 minutes or more.

ButchA and OneShotBandit like this.