Remington disappointment.

OneShotBandit

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
…as long as they go boom, my 1989 1100 has never been apart/cleaned.
It’s my upland gun, though..limited time in the dirty duck field.
I'm anal retentive as I clean my guns EVERYTIME I shoot them, I keep them clearner than my other "weapon!" :eek: :l :l :l But then that's probably why I get top dollar for my guns when I sell them.

Fogie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm anal retentive as I clean my guns EVERYTIME I shoot them, I keep them clearner than my other "weapon!" :eek: :l :l :l But then that's probably why I get top dollar for my guns when I sell them.

...have given a bunch away, traded some and thrown a couple in the river but would never sell a bad one let alone a good one.

Rick Hall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
...have given a bunch away, traded some and thrown a couple in the river but would never sell a bad one let alone a good one.

It's not been "a bunch," but I've given the hinky ones away, to include the early 1187 that had to be cleaned after every good hunt, if I hoped it would at least start the next one cycling. Wouldn't feel right taking money for a known leper - except from its seller.

The dirty gun that's given some old gals here gas rarely needed maintenance to fulfill its role in my life: keeping bird shooting enjoyable. I see that as a plus, as there are, pretty much literally, no end of things I'd rather be doing than unnecessary maintenance. Which is, of course, the point of my photo reminders of inertia action's capability.

That SBE was downgraded to mostly keepsake status when a long-time regular of mine blessed me with a 16ga Model 12 (serendipitously of my own 1950 vintage), which had been something of a nostalgic dream gun since I'd first handled, shot and marveled at the mechanicalness of one decades prior. But I had no need for such a gun and am not one to have things just to have them, so I never bought one. And I had waved the gift gun off season after season with "Just bring it back next year, John." before eventually being cornered into acceptance with its presentation at the camp table.

With the new-to-me gun came new responsibility to its history: even more so to the thought behind my friend's gift than the gun's age, gauge and model. I feel the need to honor it with use and do so. It's replaced the SBE as my dedicated "goose gun" and even sees my "Mudhole" duck blind several times a season, now that goose field ops have become too rare. The svelte 16ga pump feels dang near as alive coming to bear on birds (read: "fun to shoot") as the Montefeltro 20 that's been my long time daily ducker, and hits where I ask it to. Absolute joy to shoot. Well, aside from its misplaced safety.

But I've had to modify both my boat and my habits to protect the old gun against marring while going about a guide's hunt chores, such as chasing down long fly-off cripples, and, of course, give it an at least cursory cleaning after each hunt. Love the gun, but the care I feel it obliges me to is a nuisance I would surely come to resent on a daily basis - just as I did the daily maintenance required to keep my 1187 Remington halfway functional.

Last edited:

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Rust isn’t much of an issue here unless dunked on a humid day or salt from salt cedar or arrowweed is added. I have seen finishes completely trashed in one morning by going on the river bottom too early in the season, those plants/trees still sapping and covered in salt. I wiped out the blue on my old .308 looking for pigs down there, even.
Most of my hunting guns are krylon-ed except for the new Cynergy and that 1100 because of the place…the 1100 has never gone, too pretty and it’s for the clean desert. I shot it on the dams a few but pump better on ducks.
I do clean my guns when needed but not for the heck of it…
I have literally watched rust forming on barrels when I or partner forgets to bring oil. Coastal storms are the devil on metal but birds die by the dozens in those storms. I spray WD inside and out until it runs out of the gun to rinse the saltwater out before I get home to clean it.