Remington disappointment.

Steve Runge

Reaction score
I bought a 12 ga., 3," SP model within a year of its introduction. I've never had a single problem. Granted, in the past 15 years, it hasn't had that many rounds fired through it, but it sure got a workout in its initial 15-20 years. But I think that was before Remington got into all its financial and quality control problems.
That gun owes me nothing. If it shoots craps tomorrow, I got my moneys worth out of it.
Did you try Sure Shot or Brownells.May also try contacting Briley Guns in Houston,Tx

kiwi3

Reaction score
Purchased a remington 1187 youth sportsman for my daughter at Walmart a few years back when they clearanced them out. Fast forward to this weekend my now 9 year old daughter who is big and strong enough got her new gun out to use. We put roughly 45 shells in it and it jambed. Bolt was stuck forward. Disassembled it and found the action bar had brook off that the bolt rests on. Has anyone had an issue with these? Of course I looked online for a replacement and they are out of stock/ discontinued everywhere. Needless to say I’m very frustrated about this. I just contacted remarm the new ownership but who knows when I’ll hear back. Anyone know where I can pick one of these up for a replacement? View attachment 346171
Same happened to my 28 gauge Sporting Clays. Same place as well.

Damian Wiening

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
They always were junk

I disagree, I purchased mine in 1988, it was a great shotgun at a fair price and worked great.

Later models were cheapened by design, it’s lasted a long time only finally dying this year after several school trap seasons, we’re still looking for replacement parts.

carolina girl

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My 11-87 was the first year they put the safety in the safety. Had a 1100 that was nice, but fell apart a lot.

It’s just my experience with the firearm. I wouldn’t buy another

Damian Wiening

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
You need an engineer degree to clean them. All junk.

I see the problem, maintenance on any mechanical item is critical as is proper lubrication, it is a gas actuated system and will need care, my 11/87 SP was easy to disassemble.

Inertia actuated semi auto shotguns don’t get as dirty.

PSA, stay away from the AR15 platform.

Last edited:

Arkansas Fowler

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yup, it's only a matter of time before my 1187 breaks again I'm sure. Bought it new in 2007. The most expensive piece of garbage I've ever purchased. Hopefully some third party companies will see the hole in the market and start machining some parts before long.
I’ll never own another Remington product . I’ll do business with Beneill and Franchi .

Garry

Reaction score
If you find a confident welder and Machinist to do that work for you I will send you some 680 TIG wire. It can be expensive. Anybody that's a tool and die maker should be able to perform that work if he can weld.

Rick Hall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Inertia actuated semi auto shotguns don’t get as dirty.
Beg your pardon, inertia actions can get a lot dirtier, because they'll function a lot dirtier. Though this Benelli did, in fact, finally "click":
1656579614513.jpeg

1656579633491.jpeg

1656579657180.jpeg

Larry Welch

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
It's exactly like any discussion where there are multiple manufacturers of a same or similar product,ie automobiles, mowers, chainsaws, boat motors, big rigs, motorcycles. There are no definitive conclusions because all manufacturers have lemons get out. There isn't a firearm manufacturer around that I haven't heard someone praise as the greatest and there isn't one that I haven't heard someone cuss and sour mouth.