Remington SP-10 Patterns

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by THEIRCOMMITED10, May 23, 2020 at 10:12 PM.

1. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

The greatest part about this sport is everyone has their own way of doing things that work for them in their area and particular style hunt .

I’ve noticed in the last couple years steel shot is slowly fading out as many guys opt for heavier metal options . But steel is still a cheaper option than the heavy density stuff for those guys that shoot a lot of shells per year . I think it goes without saying most everyone knows that the 10 gauge is a great option with large steel shot such as BB & BBB for Big Late Season Honkers / High Snow Geese or cleaning up as a guide or your the last shot guy in your group . The Terror .720 and Briley chokes do a wonderful job when you need to stretch the legs out to 45 and 50+ yards .

I enjoy the 10 gauge year around for ducks , geese , predators , and now trying it for turkeys and skeet and maybe doves . But those long distance chokes are a bit too tight for decoying ducks and geese . They produce basketball size patterns at decoying range 20-35 yards which will severely handicap you or tear up the game when you center punch one .

Many call the Federal BlackCloud a gimmick shell . But the 10 Gauge seems to really pattern wonderfully over the years for me with decoying and mid range shooting .

Certainly , we can use a .410 , 20 gauge , or 12 gauge at decoying fowl done it myself for years . But .. I’m a 10 gauge man through and through and enjoy them a lot . The 10ga makes for a tremendous “DO ALL” duck and goose combo when you never know if a mallard duck will come in first or a big old honking goose will slip in on you out of nowhere .

With a 10 gauge and steel shot , you get big enough sized energy with enough uniform density that is very hard to replicate with steel shot and sub gauges .

God Bless and Good Huntin’ . -Gary

107 BB Pellets inside 30” circle .
    B15B49A5-D21D-4AC3-B935-01FA17FF3C57.jpeg
    185 #2 Pellets inside 30” circle .
    9FC1D8B0-CF0E-4E45-9C12-7924C009E8FB.jpeg

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 11:01 PM
    NW BIRDHUNTER likes this.
  2. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

My usual 10 ga load doesn't have but 99 pellets in it to start with. Puts 82-85 pellets in 30" @ 40 yards. Kills Canadas to 50 just fine if I need it to. Thanks to Joe's loads and a terror .720

Curious how those BC shells pattern out past 40, say 45-47 yards? Don't believe I have ever tried them, I have shot some blue box federal tho. I prefer mine.

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  3. THEIRCOMMITED10

@Farm4wildlife , I’ve shot many cases of the BlackCloud over the years as much as guys rag on it , I really like it in 10 gauge .

This is the first I’ve patterned the new BC shells because they changed the design in the last year or so and made a “flex wad” for all style chokes . But they still pattern the same as the old shells for me . Showing very even patterns in all chokes .720 terror , .735 terror , and Original PatternMaster . The .705 terror not so much it gets splotchy when you tighten it down .

On our Midwestern Honkers the BB BlackCloud runs out of steam at those distances you mention for those big geese . That is when I would rather have BBB and the Terror .720 if I know my shots won’t be in the sweet spot .

With that said , On all Ducks and on SnowGeese the BlackCloud has surprised me decoying and at distance and I’ve gotten great results over the years that goes back 10-12 years probably . It costs a little more today than it did then I think for the 10 gauge “Premium” BlackCloud runs $239 a case for 10 gauge I remember it was closer to $200 or so back then .

** Ive tried BlackCloud in 12gauge and I haven’t really gotten the same results . In several guns and choke combos while patterning and in field results . I cannot debunk it why , other then the BlackCloud wad dislikes being choked down bore sizes .. my guess is that is one of several reasons why I read guys bash BlackCloud unless they open their chokes up . I myself don’t have a problem with the flight control ringed pellets . **

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 1:06 AM
  4. Farm4wildlife

I'd be curious for you to try that BB load past 40, my experience with the BC loads in 12 was I couldn't keep the pattern together much past 37-38 yards. Might be a different animal in the 10, and definitely seems you are using a different wad than before.

Got a picture of the wad they are using now?

5. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

Very nice, Theircommited10. Can't beat the Big 10 for Large Geese, and Northern Mallards!

6. THEIRCOMMITED10

I’ll go back out and find the wads on the ground . I saw them on the ground but didn’t save them they are black with “wings” . The old wads if my memory serves me correct were brown and had more like slits than wings .

@Farm4wildlife I don’t think Steel BB is really a 50 yard pellet for big honkers BlackCloud or any unless you have the speed cranked up . Ive noticed (for me) BB becomes iffy at that range unless you are really bumping them up in FPS and I don’t have means to reload .

Here are some more SP-10 patterns I made from years back that you were asking about .
    The biggest thing I notice with BlackCloud in my SP-10s . They make extremely even and pretty patterns .

TERROR .720 25 yards to see just how tight .
    69FB714A-31E4-4E3D-ADFB-DF45C2961E23.jpeg
    TERROR .720 . Says 50 but it’s actually more like 47 If I recall and furthest I’d want to push that one .
    09A706E8-15E4-4A46-BC73-A191835F6F07.jpeg
    TERROR .720 . Same thing says 50 but If I recall it was 47 . A true “longer distance” honker combo with steel shot.
    4FA0FAA1-EB27-4A30-AFCB-D54DE31DC42C.jpeg

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 4:22 PM
  7. Farm4wildlife

I'm starting them past 1600 fps, results don't lie. 12# + birds. I have been disappointed in factory loads of BBB at less range (actually that same Winchester load of BBB). Really need to reload to get use out of the 10 in my opinion. Really miss Joe for these kinds of discussions.

That BB load at 50 of BC really does look pretty good. Not as high of a percentage but plenty of pellets.

Seems to me I have seen some 10 ga wads from federal that are kinda maroon that have wings that come out but not pedals.

Not trying to argue about it at all, just relaying my experience in what has worked for me.

8. THEIRCOMMITED10

I agree with you 100% . It’s been my understanding when you crank up the speeds you can really see some incredible things with the 10 . I miss Joe also , he gave me a great box of BBB many years back to try out and I’ve read his manual several times . I need to take the leap someday but for now factory has been working plenty well . But I’ve been known many times to try to fix what isn’t broken so maybe someday I will try reloading .

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  9. Farm4wildlife

Just make sure you keep saving the components that you can. Someday you will come to the dark side of reloading.