retire to Oklahoma?

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Flyway Forum' started by Vahunter, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

Wife and I are talking about maybe moving to retire.
    She wants to retire; I want to keep working. I'd be doing tax stuff, accounting, book keeping, etc.
    I'm liking Tulsa and Oak City because of relatively low house prices, good hospitals, culture, etc.
    I have a 200 acre family place I'd sell and buy that kind of acreage or more out there for hunting, shooting, a few cows, a big garden, etc. I also like to deer and dove hunt.
    What say all of you? Is there another city in OK that we should think about? If Texas is a great place to retire, and it is, why not Okla?
    Thanks

2. johnliester

johnliester Senior Refuge Member

I always though Ponca City was awesome!

3. frozen okie

frozen okie Senior Refuge Member

I would look towards NE Ok , grand lake area
    I would even look at SW MO

4. Vahunter

Looks like what I had in mind....
    Is there enough economic activity for a soon to be old dude like me to find work or create a job for myself?

5. frozen okie

frozen okie Senior Refuge Member

That I couldn’t tell ya , it’s just pretty country and good hunting and fishing

6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Enid is where the best waterfowl and dove hunting has moved and deer/turkey are plentiful in that (NW) part of the state as well. There's quite a bit of the new OLAP land (walk-in hunting/fishing) in that area as well plus more was recently added in the three panhandle counties due west of there. Farming has declined by over 90% in several NE Oklahoma counties and done a number on waterfowl and dove prospects. The job prospects are fairly good in most all of the state so the outdoor opportunities are where you might focus.

7. Vahunter

Sorry it's taken so long to reply..
    How come agriculture has declined there? Are there fewer acres farmed or has there been consolidation into fewer operations?

8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

More profitable to turn row crops (on some ground) into Bermuda pasture and run cattle combined with a farming generation retiring/dying with no successors.

9. Vahunter

I see. A few years ago, I bought some forage-type crabgrass from a guy in central Oklahoma.
    Small to mid-size farms are a thing of the past here. They guy that rents my place told me he wouldn't think of farming less than a thousand acres and I suspect you need even more than that really. There are still people that work in town, carry the mail, etc. who have a few cattle. Covers Christmas money, school clothes, etc. Small producers can breed some nice cattle.
    A guy I went to HS with runs an all grass-fed operation and retails as much as he can himself. I've had a few steaks from his steers; not bad.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  10. williamsnrb

williamsnrb New Member

We just moved to the Tulsa area 6 weeks ago from Memphis. We have loved it so far and the people are great here. However, I've been scouting on the weekends for duck habitat and haven't found much that does not require a boat. I'll keep searching, but it has been nice to live here so far. :)