Gun Dog Forum Sponsors

Retrieving BIG geese

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Dr Duk, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Kornfed

Kornfed Elite Refuge Member

Had one in the freezer for some training when he was a pup. Now has no problem with land or water. Alive or dead.
    808B2A3B-9936-4A23-9F14-348CCA96ECD8.jpeg

cacklercrazy, 2WIDGN and KwickLabs like this.
  2. cacklercrazy

cacklercrazy Senior Refuge Member

My lab the first time she pick up a honker was quite funny. I did let try honkers her first season in fear one would spook her. Second year out she got her first taste of a honker. I sent her out for the bird and she did know how to pick it up. She just keep getting mad at the bird. Sounded like a grizzly attack. She finally got it back. Been good ever since.

3. Don Smith

Don Smith Elite Refuge Member

Wise choice. I always advise my clients to make sure the first few geese are stone dead before they have an inexperienced dog retrieve it. A goose can, and will, whap a dog with the knobs on the wing joints and may well ruin the dog. After the dog is experienced, it shouldn't be a problem. I recall one of my Labs (Maggie passed in 2003) used to love tackling crippled geese. I still have a vivid memory of once in Manitoba where I sent her on a crippled goose. That goose started to fly when it saw her coming, but it couldn't gain altitude. When she got to it, she jumped up, swatted it down with a forepaw, grabbed it by the body when it hit the ground and brought that confused goose to me.

cacklercrazy and 2WIDGN like this.
  4. cacklercrazy

cacklercrazy Senior Refuge Member

That goose wasn't dead and your wise to worry about them. Had a buddy's dog that wouldn't go near one after getting beat up. When that bird rared up on her. I told Ed her to get it. Willow is very aggressive, so all I saw where teeth and a longe by her. Then it got quite funny. She could figure out how to pick it up and more she tried the madder she got. It differently sounded like a bear attack going on.

5. Labsforme

Labsforme Senior Refuge Member

I had a Cosmo daughter that hated birds she wanted them so bad. First honker hunt was in a plowed pea field. Sailed one 250 yds and it was standing up. All you saw was a trail of dust on the way out and then POOF! she hit the bird full speed. Never brought a cripple back alive. She had to relocate the bird several times on the way back because she was only 55 lbs. She would go through 40 yards of blackberries for a wounded bird and not get scratched up. I miss Rilla.

6. Dr Duk

Dr Duk Elite Refuge Member

Ordered a Dokken goose.
    Will tape wings on it to make it more difficult to pick up by the body.

7. Dr Duk

My dog has finally retrieved a big goose. A little hesitation, found a place to grab it and brought it back.
    No hesitation on the Dokken goose!

8. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

I can remember the first goose which stood up & spread its wings at a two year old. It was a snow goose & provided good entertainment. Two days later, a Giant Canada did the same thing. The lab looked like a football player tackling the goose. They both went rolling for about 5 yards. Needless to say, he was an animal after that.

cacklercrazy likes this.
  9. Dr Duk

She hasn’t tried a crippled goose yet, will be interesting!
    If she goes full speed and attacks it, that would be awesome!

10. Gander-Commander

Gander-Commander Senior Refuge Member

My lab ( 2 1/2 years old and 65 lbs.) made his first goose retrieves this season field hunting. Most were in the 8-10 lb. range. But shot one that dropped dead about 250 yards out and the dog never saw it fall. Walked the dog out a ways, lined him up, and sent him back. He located the goose and brought it back but it was not an easy retrieve. He lost his grip several times and appeared to be dragging the goose back to the blind. Later weighed the bird at 13 lbs. Funny part of the hunt was when we were walking back to the truck parked 400 yards away. Half way there he runs back to the spread, picks up the smaller goose, and runs it all the way back to the truck. I think he likes goose hunting!

2WIDGN likes this.