Retrieving Ducks in Swift Current

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by SBEII, Nov 16, 2019.

1. SBEII

SBEII Senior Refuge Member

Has anyone ever ran a dragline or something across a slough or channel to stop dead ducks from floating away in some pretty fast current. Dog can usually get singles and pairs but more than that, it's just too far to send her and expect her to fight that current all the way back. Getting the boat out is a pain in the butt after pushing into the very shallow spot and dumping all kinds of cover on it. Basically, lose 20-30 minutes of time getting boat out, back in and covered.

I swear I've seen something about something strung across the water that causes dead fowl to hang up on it???

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I know folks who put oil booms around their holes to keep seed and floating moss from filling it up. An added benefit is dead ducks just hang up on them until retrieved.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    riverrat47 and Fowler267 like this.
  3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Volleyball net staked across so it’s just above the waterline. Let’s the water and small debris flow thru without resistance.

4. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

On a side channel of the Miss, we had two super mag decoys at the lower end of our spread, anchored with very heavy weights & lines, with a fairly heavy line running between the two...tied to the anchor lines, about 2 1/2 ft. below the surface so boats could go over it. When the wind and current started rolling, the lighter anchored dekes would start to drag their weights, but they'd hang up on that line. It wasn't unusual for us to find a half dozen decoys on our catch line. It was sure easier than looking for them downriver. You could probably do something similar, as it might stop the ducks, but if the current is that strong, my guess is the rope would only slow the duck down. Worth a try, but you'd also have to pick it up daily, or you might have some PO'ed boaters.
    I like Cooksey's oil boom suggestion.

5. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

The wrong warden sees that and you might have a problem...

Migratory birds on which open seasons are prescribed in this part may be taken by any method except those prohibited in this section. No persons shall take migratory game birds:

(a) With a trap, snare, net, rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than 10 gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machinegun, fish hook, poison, drug, explosive, or stupefying substance;

6. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

Ok, but you took them with a shotgun, you retrieved them with a net which many folks with a large boat do. Now if they were still alive and got hung up in the net that might be different.

Fowler267 and Dean Nelson like this.
  7. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

They use to streatch a steel cable across some of the fast rivers in spring during he smelt run to catch drunken smelters from going into Lake Superior

We had a similar situation
    We just passed on some birds if at that time we considered it too much work to chase with the boat

8. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

How far is too far for your dog and how swift of currant? Hunting the CA Delta our dogs often swim down stream 1/4 mile each way chasing a crip. From the bank of Roe island to Ryer Island for people in the know, then have to fight the fast moving tide back to the blind. The only thing I worried about is other duck and fishing boats and if the dog is in the shipping lanes on the outside of the island. Then and only then would I drive out to idle along the side of the dog until it got back to the blind. These dogs are a whole lot tougher than people give them credit.:yes:yes:yes
    We aren't dealing with snow or ice here though.:no

9. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Am faced with a similar situation in a river area I hunt with boat blind. River isn,t very wide at this particular area and outgoing tide especially after a heavy rain can get pretty quick. Width about 50 yds. in most places and a lot of bends. Those inside bends generally collect debris and any flotsam. Dog at most can only get to 2 dead birds before rest are swept down river. We,ll just check the debris collection areas thoroughly on way back to ramp and find birds dog couldn,t get to there after hunt . usually they,ll be hung up within 1/2 mile of our set up. Maybe you,ve got a similar situation where you hunt. We do on occasion loose a bird to eagles that see drifting birds out of site of us.

10. Take-a-Gander

Take-a-Gander Elite Refuge Member

I am not trying to be a jerk but if you don’t attempt to retrieve them immediately and a CO is watching could you get cited? I know you said you pick them up on the way back which is great.