Revisit your old friendships. One of the best investments of time, you can make.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Mallard Machete, Dec 4, 2019.

1. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

If I had an old friend introduce me to the money I've spent on duck hunting I'd smack him good.

I used to go to Iowa games with two brothers, seemed perfect health. Older one died of a stroke few years back at 41. Non smoker, thin, etc. Just had weak blood vessels and undiagnosed hypertension. Really could be any day for any of us.

2. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

A friend I'd gone to HS with opened a hook & bullet sporting goods store after he got out of the army. We reconnected after I got out of the Marines, taking hunting and fishing trips together. Eventually, I worked at the shop, part-time, for several years. Eventually, the big boys put him out of business. With the closing of the shop, me moving away and a couple of uncalled for remarks from his wife, we lost contact for close to two decades.
    While visiting home, I ran into a mutual friend who played cards with Jon, and he mentioned how often Jon talked about our earlier adventures. I contacted him while I was in town and we got together for a couple of drinks. We laughed and joked like we'd just seen each other last week. We decided that maybe a trip to Lake of the Woods, Ont., might be in the near future.
    Within two months, I got a call that Jon had massive heart attack mowing the yard and was dead before he hit the ground, at 52.
    I'm sure glad I made the overture to get together and reminisce about all the boats, blinds, baits, bullets and booze we had shared in our younger days.

OneShotBandit, metalworx and hunting1 like this.
  3. hunting1

hunting1 Elite Refuge Member

A college buddy called me out the blue after seeing him last at a reunion of sorts about 15 years ago. We've spent several hours of time on the phone on several occasions catching up with each other and reminiscing. And the bonus will be the get together on a guided crane hunt in Oklahoma that he had extra spots to fill. Should be a good time

riverrat47 likes this.
  4. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

One of the best parts of retirement is you have the time to have coffee or lunch or beers with old friends. People from school or work or old hunting buddies. It is great to reconnect without having to schedule it 2 months in advance.

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

That's tragic. Can't think a better word.

6. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Agree - in my mid-40s I started tracking down old friends and making deliberate effort to go visit and maybe do some activity (okay - it was an excuse to duck hunt or fish with a few of them).

Running about 50:50 - Half have resulted in pleasant reunions and renewed contacts. The other half, maybe I will check again in another 45 years?

metalworx and riverrat47 like this.
  7. Juan De

Juan De Senior Refuge Member

@seiowa, I had that thought once, but as mentioned earlier in this thread our time is short and in my opinion there is no amount of money equal to the wonderful memories, which I have had because of this passion called duck hunting. I have shared a boat with a few people including my dad that have passed away and I cherish those memories.
    I’ll share a little story. My dad had intestinal cancer. Chemo seemed to be working in the summer of 2012. The friend I mentioned earlier had a drake redhead decoy carved for my dad and had everything lined up for him to have a chance at a redhead. My dad died however before duck season that year, so he gave me the decoy. The first time I floated the bird was on a three day trip to Texas. I had a drake sprig land right beside it. I killed and mounted that bird. Now whenever I hunt ducks I float that decoy. I have killed everything from wood ducks to a drake harliguin trying to sit with this decoy.

Attached Files:

Rebranger and seiowa like this.
  8. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

After my 40 year reunion a Facebook page
    Anyway once I started using FB When I retired then reconnected with neighborhood friends and classmates

Rebranger and riverrat47 like this.
  9. Peter Goodman

Peter Goodman Senior Refuge Member

Teenage years are odd. My recollection (Class of 72 so awhile as go) was that I was an outsider of sorts. People kind of tolerated me. Our class set up an informal sort of reunion for people living close (I never left town) and about 50 attendees. In talking to others ALL of us had felt pretty much the same. Now had lots of laughs. I think when you are younger you always worry about fitting in, then you grow up, just be yourself and enjoy others for who they are. Now we get together more often in little groups (watching a game at a bar...) and wonder why we had to wait 40 years to figure this all out. Shouldn't have waited.

Rebranger likes this.
  10. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My brother was the same way- passed away from a heart attack @ 46!