Rifle to Scope rule of thumb

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by teul2, Jan 7, 2021.

1. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

I have always heard the "rule of thumb" when buying a scope for a new rifle is that the scope should cost 2 or 3 times the rifle cost.

I am to poor for that. Or have been. Maybe now I can swing it. But, I want to hear your thoughts. Is there a "rule of thumb" you have in mind like the one I have always heard? Or is it just buy what you can afford as close to the feature set you can?

2. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

Stay in your budget. The most expensive glass I own is less than $300. I don’t hunt sheep and probably never will.

Bclick likes this.
  3. IV Hunt

IV Hunt Elite Refuge Member

Agree with Out of Focus. There is a lot of decent optics out there at a reasonable cost. I spent about as much on my glass as my gun, which wasn't pricey.
    Determine what your needed features are, and hone in on the optics that fit your need, then shop them until you find what you can afford.

ronaldo likes this.
  4. oskar

oskar Senior Refuge Member

Buy what fills your requirements.
    I have a many thousand dollar German drilling that gets used in the forest of northern WI, it wears an old Weaver K-1.5 and is perfect for what it does.
    [​IMG]

And another with a Leupold VX-1 Shotgun scope, both the drillings had high end Euro 6x scope that had too narrow of a field of view and mounted to high to do what I wanted the guns to do.
    [​IMG]

Same with my Italian combo gun it wears a Leupold VX-2 1-4x20 and kills coyotes just fine
    [​IMG]

My little Sako Vixen wears an old Leupold Compact that I bought used for $150 perfect for called coyotes
    [​IMG]

Even my 20Practical LR coyote gun gets away with a $299 Athlon 2-12 scope.
    [​IMG]

I could go on about varmint/target rifles that kill/win stuff and don't wear scopes over $300.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    ronaldo and SB2MAG like this.
  5. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

Difficult to beat a Leupold at any price point sub $500ish, IMO.

Bclick, Vahunter and ronaldo like this.
  6. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

I always figured a minimum of what you have in the gun, but it depends on what you are doing with it. How much will it cost you if it fails?

I have had the most problems out of Leupold products, I won't buy them anymore. I talked to a sponsored shooter and he said you are best to have 3. One on your gun, one on the way to be repaired, and one coming back from repair. Vortex also has a great warranty program, problem is you will likely use it.

SWFA seems to be a good scope at a decent price. Some of the high end Bushnell's. Nightforce, Razor line from Vortex, Swarovski, Zeiss was always good but they have made some cheap scopes in recent years now. I mainly use Trijicon and zeiss now. The Trijicon has been good, but their line is pretty limited. Burris is supposed to have some nice scopes but I haven't used any of them.

7. oskar

oskar Senior Refuge Member

Burris, I have their Euro optics Four-X 1.5-6 #4 German ret. w/illuminated dot nice scope. A Burris Signature Select 1.5-6 w/duplex, both nice scopes plenty for me out to 300 yard on coyotes. Most of my coyotes are called and my rifle flat enough to hold on fur out that far.
    Burris 4x 1.5-6
    [​IMG]

I have a Meopta Artimes 1.5-6 with a German #1 ret, great scope.
    [​IMG]

Again all were close-outs or sale scopes and none over $300. I don't buy a scope unless I can get a substantial discount, I never NEED a scope but buy them when I can get a good enough deal to upgrade what I have. I've been shooting scoped rifle for 50 years and a lot of my stuff is old old Weaver K-2.5's up to Leupold 1-4's and again to 1.5-6's etc.

A couple that are proving to be nice scopes a Konus Pro-30 1.5-6 w/illuminated dots, surprisingly clear to the edges and and sighting in adjustments have been spot on and holding zero. One of these are on my AR bouncing around on my hunting MC in fact most of my coyote guns ride on the MC
    [​IMG]

Again I don't twist turrets but do use the dots on a ballistic plex ret out to 500 yards on coyotes.

There are lots of good scopes out there under $300, more if you watch sales. I even have a sub $100 Weaver Kaspa that is clear and works well.
    Weaver Kaspa 1-4x24m Win Mod 70 222 Rem kind of bulky
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    Out of focus likes this.
  8. Mack270

Mack270 Senior Refuge Member

I’d guess it would depend on what you want to use it for. If deer hunting I think there are some decent scopes in the $3-500 range. Personally I’ve had good luck with Leupold but mine are twenty years old at a minimum. A good friend of mine who shoots a lot of deer each year loves Nikon but they’re getting out of scopes. A shame as their low light clarity is some of the best IMO. I’ve used a Burris before and I got the impression they make a solid product but I can’t think of anything that stood out.

9. ronaldo

ronaldo Senior Refuge Member

I have a half dozen Leupolds and have never had a malfunction or issue. I have no reason to look at other brands other than finding a good deal.

Bclick likes this.
  10. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Elite Refuge Member

@teul2 I'm thinking you heard that from a scope salesman!!

Buy what you can afford that fits your needs. Truth be told, for most hunters the scope will not be the limiting factor on their effective range or accuracy.

Soggy Socks likes this.