Rifle to Scope rule of thumb

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by teul2, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

It's pretty simple really, scope isn't worth a thing to me while it's getting serviced. I have sent enough of it back. Except for the top tier stuff Leupold is still living off of its old name. Much like Remington had been. By the time I get to the Mark 5 scope I'll be spending my money on a different brand. You do you, fine if you are happy with their products. I have personally dealt with a lot of failure from their products. You can call me whiny, don't care. When you have to go on about how great a product is because of the warranty, it should tell you something.

2. baltz526

baltz526 Elite Refuge Member

Just quit bashing perfectly fine American made products, made by Americans in American factory's.

3. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

That's funny.

4. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

I just had a pair of Leupold binoculars split in two when the weather got cold and the plastic got brittle. I sent them back on my dime and I got an email back saying I should expect five weeks for repair or replacement. THEY SPLIT IN TWO! I wish those fine Americans would send me a new pair now.

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  5. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

What I do not choose to afford is the missed opportunity. More specifically, my son's opportunities since this is to be his. After spending the better part of a month getting my son on his first buck, I'll be damned if I want to look into a scope and it be broken.

I was looking at some Nightforce scopes on sale in Sportsman's Warehouse. Always heard they are top notch. This is a bit excessive, but, a testament to their sturdiness.

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  6. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

I'm afraid that all the talent that a spendy scope possesses would be lost on my poor marksmanship with a rifle :l

Bclick and Soggy Socks like this.
  7. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Elite Refuge Member

Red hawk rifles has some demo Zeiss scopes on sale right now. I ordered another conquest v4 6-24 x 50. Have dialed and killed with it up to 620 yards on my 300 wsm and the zero stop is fantastic. I think the glass is on par with a Z5. I hear the new vortex HD is good too.

8. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

If you ask me, that rule is BS. Depends on your use, what sort of gun you buy, etc.

Bclick likes this.
  9. Bclick

Bclick Elite Refuge Member

That's a stupid rule of thumb probably put out there by the Zeiss or Swarovski families. A Vortex CrossfireII or Leopold equivalent will do almost all you need for hunting in North America.

My uncle did a lifetime of hunting out west with a mdl70 270 with a 1-4x Weaver scope. Didn't need a 6-50 on a 6.8 western to take game. In WI a 300 savage99 with a peep site suffices.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  10. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

The fine American workers at Leupold just sent me an email saying that the binos I sent them in two pieces could not be repaired. Duh. I get free new ones! Oh but they are back ordered so if I don’t get them in six weeks I am to call. Mind you they fell one foot in 28 degree weather and split in two. I hear my door to Leupold closing.