Decoy Forum Sponsors

Ring stands for floating duck decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Fsbirdhouse, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

The idea has been around for a while, and I bent up about forty last season, but did not like the height they came out to, so I'm taking out the bends (easy) and have repositioned my jigs for a shorter stance. Here is before and after.
    These are the paper towel holders that cost $1 each. They are extremely stable considering the small ring base.
    20210608_134651.jpg

NW BIRDHUNTER and bullpinnie like this.
  2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Nice work. :tu

I was going to do the same as you but ring bases suck in the marshes I hunt so I designed a motion stake for my floaters. I am able to leave the anchors and lines attached so as a bonus I can float them when the tide covers the flats and stake them out when it's dropping.

I really like seeing everybody's ideas.

3. Fsbirdhouse

If we hunt water, they float in normal use, or stand on shallow gravel bars with ring stands beside the floaters. The floaters have the additional stability of putting out a couple of feet of line with the weights on the ground in high winds.
    No need to buy additional full bodies for field hunting now. With Full Body decoys and these floaters on the stands I can make a spread of close to 80 + decoys for field hunting

Billy Bob likes this.
  4. Billy Bob

Exactly. All of my full bodies and shells are on the chopping block now. 2 seasons ago I had around 100dz duck decoys and ideas like this are helping to reduce the pile. I'll be down to 60-70dz soon. :z

5. Fsbirdhouse

I think most hunters in my area are hunting the Snake river, but I primarily hunt grain (Corn or wheat) fields adjoining local rivers, and now only have one water hunt location, and don't even need a boat for it, driving right to water's edge.
    I hunt over both floating duck and goose decoys with the kill hole between them.
    I have grown to like the looks of the Flock-a-Flickers, but not being on remotes to shut off when geese approach, have instead utilized the same ring stands to mount my spinners on with their wings just above scraping the ground, and those CAN be shut off, but can also be made to periodically 'FLASH' the ducks with almost the same effect as the Flock-a-Flicker.
    I must do this as we often end our season with frozen ground, although warmer climes can use poles cut to height for same result. Seen here just before painting
    20210323_085915.jpg

6. Billy Bob

How is the weight compared to something like the GHG ring bases?

7. Fsbirdhouse

Close, but perhaps a tad heavier than short GHG stands...but only guessing.

8. Billy Bob

Ouch. I was hoping they were lighter. With that ring being smaller do you work them into the sand or gravel a bit? Do you need to kick water on them when they're on ice to keep them from tipping and sliding in wind?

Sorry for the 20 questions. I got to thinking about how compatible they would be with silos.

9. Fsbirdhouse

Sliding on ice in the wind is not something I can speak to, but as I said, the weights on the floater decoys will keep them from tipping on dry ground or on snow.
    They are extremely stable, as I tested them with a TORO leaf blower at six feet, full power and decoys rocked a little. They tipped at 4 ft, but lead weights put up wind stopped that. That test was more direct and more powerful than what you might expect to hunt in.
    Might have to stake/weight down the MOJOs though. Haven't tested those. Different profile.

10. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

I've wanted to do this for a couple of seasons now. Have you tested these with goose floaters at all? Do you have to shape them differently to balance?