Rio Blue Steel Reviews

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by duckbalster, Oct 18, 2013.

1. duckbalster

duckbalster Senior Refuge Member

Guys,

Looking at getting a case of shells here in a week or so, but can't necessarily make up my mind. I am typically a Kent shooter since they are probably the best bang for the buck and I have never had problems with them. I have shot multiple cases of them both 3" & 2 3/4" #4's with no problems. Pellets are round too.

Last year I went on a limb since I didn't have much cash to throw towards a case for season and bought the Fiocci steel loads. Problem was that the brass would expand enough that they would jam in my chamber. Shot them in a buddies gun and no problems. I put a caliper on them and the tolerance on my chamber and the spent shell was too close for movement. Needless to say I sold those and went with a case of the Federal Blue (Speed Shok) loads. They seemed to do just fine and I had no problems with them. Some guys say they are dirty, but I clean my gun after each hunt so that isn't an issue.

Now I saw that Cabela's has the Rio Blue Steel cases on sale for a darn good deal. Are the pellets round or look like little meteors similar to an Expert shell?

I am a firm believer that aftermarket chokes can make a cheap load shoot really well vs. shooting high dollar ($3-4.50 per shell) loads. We are selective on our shots so we don't have long shots to worry about. Most are within 30 yards and I have shot 2 3/4" #4 at geese with no problems early season to late February in the snow.

Any review on the Rio's would be nice. If I am still unsure I will likely just get the Kent's.

2. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

The reports on Rio steel I have read are not good.

3. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

RIO and SAGA are cartridges produced by the spanish giant Maxan formerly UEE Dantex Union Espa?ola de Explosivos they became MAXAM International and retained the danntex suffix in some countries in Europe.
    RIO tend to be the high end ammo out of the two brands but both share components . Maxam are the biggest shot shell manufacturer in Europe are in house producers of cases powders wads and primers they also own eley hawk ammunition and provide the propellant and other components for eley lightening steel ammo arguably the fastest ammo available to the general public in factory ammo in the European Union.
    Maxan make many powders notable amongst these is the excellent CSB0 this powder is used in many of the RIO steel loads and is clean burning and efficient and has similar characteristics to A Steel and even closer to a commercial Alliant powder A 381, A 381 and A356 are the two most prolific Alliant powders used by Kent and are commonly used by kent gamebore in the uk for ammo they turn out labeled Kent / game bore and i have seen them marked jaguar marketed in norther Europe only as far as i can tell.
    So having said all that RIO are not second class citizens to federal Kent Remington winchester or anybody else, and their ammo will be as uniform and safe as anyone's with equivalent quality.
    One hears of horror stories about all brands of ammo RIO are no different, how much is fact or fiction is a very moot point.
    RIO ammo available to you in the states may or may not be produced to comply with the European CIP regulations and may in most offering produce ammo at lower velocities than some American companies are marketing there but they could produce ammo to USA regs for special export for there and other countries.. For example the eley lightening ammo currently marketed in the uk has been available in New Zealand for the past ten years eley (MAXAM) in the uk never sold a 3 inch steel load until the release of this range of ammo about two years ago.
    My experience with RIO is extensive in the uk and New Zealand the ammo is good and performs excellent I should imagine what you have there will be just as good, dismiss the nay Sayers Maxam is a big concern and have the resources to produce ammo comparable to anyone in the world today and probably considerably cheaper too.

4. john5657

john5657 Senior Refuge Member

i cut a Rio blue steel #2 apart. The pellet count was right, the wad is a gulandi (sp?), the pellets were fairly uniform in size - some of them were cratered and pock marked.

When I shot one at a heavy paper pattern at 40 yds. The wad apparently hit the paper as there was a pretty good tear in the paper. Neither the Rem or the Kent did that. Pellet count and distribution was similar to the rem or the kent. I only fired one of each at the paper - so take it for what its worth.

5. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

i cut a few open and they are the components said above. The only problem I had was that some of the wads where not slit through.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I have shot them. They killed ducks. No misfires. I bought them for the price, and was more than pleased. We shoot their lead at the trap range, and everyone likes them.

7. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Rio are good shells. Patterns well. I had the wad of a 3.5" BB go through a goose's head at 40 yards.

8. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

If I didn't know you and your shooting prowes bud I'd call BS on this. Wish I coulda seen that.

9. Lame-Duck

Lame-Duck Elite Refuge Member

I shot Rio 2 3/4 inch #3's and #4's last season and used them this past weekend for our waterfowl opener. I have not put them on paper, but they hit hard and seem to pattern well on birds. I've been using them in my Vinci and so far, have no complaints.

10. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

I shot several boxes of the #2 & 3's at divers last season they worked fine.:yes