RIP Rose

Sweatliner

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Rosalie Sanders 83, passed away on May 10, 2022.

If you’ve hunted Howard Slough over the past 20 years you’ve run into Rose a time or two. Initial encounters may have been that she was tough but once you got to know her she really was a kind and caring lady. Hot coffee and treats out to those who wanted it while waiting to get on. She would always have candy at the ready for the Juniors. She really did make that check station feel different than any other I have ever visited.

She would always ask how my Dad was doing if he wasn’t with me. Rose was working on my Sons first hunt, she had me pick Tyler up to the window so he could pick a couple of pieces of candy. Years later that little boy is grown up and totes along me and his Grandpa because he drew a ressie. We get to the window and she reminisces about how we used to pick Tyler up to the window so he could get some candy. She closes the window and disappears. Place goes silent and we’re trying to figure out what’s going on. A minute or two later she reappears and opens the window and hands Tyler his candy.

Lots of good times with friends and family shared with Rose at the check station. She will be missed.

Going to check with Dave ( UBB manager ) this week if they are doing anything for Rose at the check station. I hope they do

hunt'ngreen

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Heard of her passing a while back, RIP Rose, a kind gentle soul with the red bandana holding her hair back. The old hot coffee, and the kitty can... Maybe they can put up a sign like at Llano for old Ed, " Ed's pond" in memory of her.

lo-base larry

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
We've met a lot of nice people working for the Fish and Game over the years, but there was only one Rose. I can remember a time when we were hunting in the valley, I forget where, when we hadn't seen Rose for a while so we took a ride over to see her after our hunt. I doubt there will be another like her, a very special person.

DuckFan

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Never knew her but she sounds like someone I wish I had met. I have met a few staff members over the years that have made such a great impression on me and my family. Those that took the time to help and made sure kids felt important too.

May Rosalie rest in Peace.

Thanks for posting this up Steve.

George

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
RIP Rose...

Rose definitely was one of a kind.

She looked all mean and gruff but she truly had a heart of gold. So kind and welcoming. Knew everybody by name, encouraging to the juniors. She was Howard.

The UBB really needs to honor her at Howard like they did with Ed. She deserves it.