California Flyway Forum Sponsors

RIP Tommy Lasorda

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by HaydenHunter, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

Had 2 encounters with the great one of a kind lasorda. 1st was when my son was a high dodger draft pick out of high school... no need tell you how high the draft pick and how much the dodgers offered in a signing bonus. My son held off on signing and negotiated the bonus money all summer long. Tommy called me, the dad, several times during the summer to tell me how much the Dodgers wanted my son and how he would take a special interest In my son.while he was breaking in with the dodgers and the life of minor league baseball, even invited my wife and i to spend a weekend with Tommy and his wife at his Los angeles home which I politely declined...did not want to bias my son's decision on whether to go pro or go to college at an esteemed school that had a power house bb program and offered my son a handsome scholarship(from that you can probably figure out who the college was). Tommy wished my son the best when he declined their final bonus offer and off he went to college. Tommy, great guy that my son and i will always rempember. 2nd encounter, not me, my son. When my son played for the american amateur Olympic bb team on the summer long team USA red white and blue intl tour, tommy was the team ambassador. Ask my son what was the best part of this incredible experience he'll tell you..."hanging out with tommy all summer". RIP Tommy, we will forever remember you.

jamescd1, EL GURU, Flyfisher and 4 others like this.
  2. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

The blowing kisses to the fans at the Stick was just classic.

DuckFan likes this.
  3. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Life long Giants fan, but Tommy was one of the best things that ever happened to baseball. It was hard not to like him. The game lost a great one.

DuckFan likes this.
  4. Kornfed

Kornfed Elite Refuge Member

Was at the stick sitting there watching batting practice and lasorda comes strolling outta the dugout arm and arm with strawberry.
    Have always hated the dodgers, but the dude was one of a kind. RIP

DuckFan likes this.
  5. yellowlabhunter

yellowlabhunter Elite Refuge Member

I was in Vegas in '98 saw him at a restaurant, said hello, a very nice man. A true legend! Most them boys are gone.

DuckFan likes this.
  6. Mudtoes

Mudtoes Senior Refuge Member

Tommy Lasorda was a great asset to the World of Baseball. Great Ambassador of the game and always a lot of fun to watch, whether coaching, managing a game or mugging it up to the fans. Being a lifelong Giants fan there were times he drove me nuts with his moves that beat my team, but he was a baseball genius.
    RIP Mr. Lasorda and thanks for your contribution to the game.

Refugeguy and DuckFan like this.
  7. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

upload_2021-1-8_20-6-55.jpeg

API likes this.
  8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

DuckFan likes this.
  9. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

He was a legend. Made the rivalry great. My favorite all Time incident was him fighting the philly fanatic with the LaSorda blow up doll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That was the best thing I ever saw in baseball!!!!!!!!

dl537 and DuckFan like this.
  10. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

Ya wanna laugh your azz off go to YouTube and watch the best of tommy lasorda, so many hilarious quips like..."that sob couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat"....

DuckFan likes this.