River Barges

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Missy Skeeter, May 22, 2021.

1. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

We lost a couple of duck hunters last year when theyran into a barge crossing the River. Fog was bad, barges were crawling and not leaving a wake. Boat slammed right into the side (T-boned) it.

on the yuk, I figured they (River pilots) would slow for passing boats. Maybe the current is too swift. I don’t recall that much boat traffic

2. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Try fishing in the Panama Canal (which is mostly a big lake - sort of a tropical KY Lake) and crossing behind an ocean going container ship in a Jon boat.

I had no frame of reference for how big those wakes were, but felt like we were going up and down a 20 foot hill of water

Fowler267, DelFowl18 and oleww like this.
  3. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Hunted the Illinois in Illinois with friends. The barges push the river in front and its a very weird thing. Water goes up, barges go by, and the water falls way out then returns to normal. I'm not interested at all in hunting there its too dangerous and I'm too dumb.

oleww likes this.
  4. DelFowl18

DelFowl18 Senior Refuge Member

We have something very similar. All the container ships come up the Delaware and it can be a little hairy when it's dark and foggy. When they come through the canal they suck the water out. That's pretty neat to watch

5. da grouch

da grouch Senior Refuge Member

Very cool pictures, the low decks always surprise me when I see them in pictures. It gets hairy when you have to hit the wakes with a low bow. Must be awful in the dark fog and unaware. You guys nearing the point of no darkness I presume?, we've got a good looking moon tonight. I always enjoy your news from the "last frontier." Thank you.

6. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

DSC00312.JPG DSC00314.JPG

7. Fowler267

DSC00315.JPG DSC00317.JPG

8. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Living in Washington I hunted downstream of Savie Island and above Ridgefield refuge.
    My whole set of goose shells floated off.
    Found them all barely
    after that I used fewer decoys. If I saw a ship or barge , I would collect then all. And reset after it passed

9. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Triggered memory.
    In Akiak, Alaska we built the school.
    The floor is laminated beams. I rolled one onto my thumb and peeled the skin off like a grape.
    I taped it up and kept working.
    ER? Lol
    It grew back just fine.

10. Fowler267

Ol rusty barges are dang near invisible at night!