RM haters thread

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by stumpjumper0531, May 3, 2021.

1. pounder

pounder Elite Refuge Member

Nobody NEEDS numbers, they are simply a handy reference that Lares decided to use and others are jealous that they didn't think of it first. I don't use the numbered reeds in my calls, I keep them as blanks from which I cut other reeds and adjust dogears, width and whatever else comes to mind. Having numbered reeds makes nobody any better or worse than the next guy

2. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

That is FACT- I had Jim Ronquest retune a MVP for me when I was down there several years ago. Man he must have lungs like an air compressor as I couldn't run that call w/o fainting from lack of oxygen! :l

3. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Perhaps I should tune your calls.
    Why? I'm tiny size and have to tune it to me.
    Maybe that'd work for you. Bring all your calls when you come. If you got reeds and wine corks we can fiddle around and drive them batty.
    Can hear it now...shut up acorn we're trying to get drunk over here. :l

I may have you confused with ogblackcloud. I warned you two.

4. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

5. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Yeah I got you mixed up.
    I think he's going to ride to the shindig.
    Oh well chit happens...
    16226677734384189146661534201689.jpg

6. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Just about everything in your statement is completely incorrect. I could name you a lot more than 5 non contest callers that I could hand my personal CWF to and they would sound much better on it than straight from the shop, however you wouldn’t know any of them. My point is if they had any inkling to contest call they could, but even without that dedication to learn it they learned proper air control. Contest calling has nothing to do with talent, and everything to do with dedication. Everybody has the time to learn control. How long do you drive in your vehicle every day? That’s practice time. BTW, most contest guys are blowing a light- medium call. Stephens was crazy light and Jimbo was crazy heavy, they were outliers, not the norm when it comes to guys who have won or were always in the running.

Short reeds do not stick more than a longer reeds, the calls that stick with spit the most are Cutdowns and they have the longest reeds of any call other than Realfoot style calls.

Strength has nothing to do with it either, and certainly doesn’t precede control. I know plenty of guys that can’t blow a heavy call at all, but have excellent air control and sound great on a lighter call.

All I’m hearing from you is laziness, and that’s perfectly fine, but don’t sit there and pass off incorrect information as “knowledge” because of your laziness.

7. Aliv9

Aliv9 Refuge Member

Hey Trevor,
    I'm always interested in improving and putting in work learning doesn't bother me. Are there any resources you would recommend for learning proper air control? I find that I overblow a shorter reed and am curious how you get the volume and tone out of a shorter reed. If you have time to point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

stumpjumper0531 likes this.
  8. pounder

pounder Elite Refuge Member

why start now?

9. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

I don’t know what you do with your cut downs but they are the least sticky calls you can blow. I can lock up any call out there except for cut downs....and I’ve blown them for 20 years

Wiscoduckhunt likes this.
  10. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I’ll lock any one up with spit in less than 60 seconds. That long heavy reed doesn’t play well with iguana spit :yes