RM haters thread

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by stumpjumper0531, May 3, 2021.

1. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Open up your throat more. Hot, slower air lets you get power and volume from a shorter reed. You still have to learn control, but that is the first step.

There aren’t any great resources out there because it’s hard to teach. Everybody kind of finds it their own way. The best I can describe it is the air presentation of fogging up a mirror or saying huh huh huh

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

You're not alone. I ran a half-scroll Daisy Cutter with Jim's tuning for some years, because I thought it should be the bomb. But it wasn't fun. (And I never could make it show as much leverage as a much more nimble, John or Butch tuned, MVP of the same vintage surprised me with.)

OneShotBandit likes this.
  3. craig wilson

craig wilson Elite Refuge Member

If you don’t put in the work, you won’t enjoy the benefits to the fullest. We live in the microwave era, everyone wants it right away. Always looking for the easy way or the magic flute. They don’t exist. Although the one I got from Stump is close

4. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

A lot more young callers have put in the work vs. older callers. Most of the old timers out on the marsh sound like **** so I’d say the microwave analogy isn’t quite correct.

Aliv9 likes this.
  5. craig wilson

craig wilson Elite Refuge Member

6. mtncntrykid

mtncntrykid Refuge Member

"A lot more young callers have put in the work vs. older callers. Most of the old timers out on the marsh sound like **** so I’d say the microwave analogy isn’t quite correct."

The difference is that the old guys (like me) didn't have to put in the time to learn air control as the competition was not at near the level in the duck hunting game as it is today. Back then all levels of calling ability pretty much worked on ducks. There is a new breed of duck in this modern era that has become much more weary of deception (due to the increased numbers hunting them) and thus become harder to decoy. Personally, I spent just as much time calling then as I do now with the variable being success. I have had to learn better calling techniques in an effort to maintain the level of success decoying today's birds comparable to those of yesteryear. This doesn't mean more time on the call as much as just raising the skill level bar for more required deception.
    With that said, there are many old timers that don't take hunting as seriously as when they were younger and haven't bothered to elevate their calling game for today's birds and figure if they scratch out a shot or two in this modern era they are happy. As well as many young guns who don't really take it seriously and just hope to pass shoot at something they might accidentally hit, who sound pretty bad on a call out there too.
    IMHO

Blueblood likes this.
  7. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

You remind me of me in 1979.
    Old ppl didnt know chit. Our world was new and modern. The old geezers slowed things down or we'd have our Jetsons cars by now. We had new electronic fuel pumps. Stereo not AM. My GTO HAD AN 8 TRACK. Ever play slow ride on one? You ain't lived BOY.
    Lol
    See how you are?
    I can't wait until you get old enough for some punk young kid to inform you how you're holding him back by being you. Your posts are full of that kind of talk. When things reverse on you...you're going to take it hard sort of like I am now.
    Good luck my friend. You'll grow up someday.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  8. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

First person I ever heard really make a call sing was a retired Lt. Col. Don't know if Colonel Jim had ever entered a contest, just that he sure didn't call like anyone I'd ever heard in person before. Well, that, and he killed a lot of mallards in a spot few others would fool with.

Perhaps the exception to whatever the rule might be...

dog duck gun and OneShotBandit like this.
  9. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

"To be Old & Wise,
    One must first be Young & Stupid"
    No Fear

dog duck gun likes this.
  10. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

The key to this working is the ability to learn from mistakes.
    My dad was very hard on me. One day I had to admit that I was wrong about the mower.
    It'd been slipping.
    Problem? Air up the tires idiot.
    So I admitted to my critical father that I was dumb but learned to keep air in the tires. :doh

He said the nicest thing he'd ever said to me that day. "Some people never learn" implying I was teachable. Before then he insisted I was unteachable. Funny how little things matter so much.