RM haters thread

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by stumpjumper0531, May 3, 2021.

1. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

I’m 46. I hunt a lot of public and I get to hear all kinds of calling. In general, younger kids are more competent on the call but there’s always exceptions. There are a lot of older callers who are great but many who are not.

Also, I’ve heard you on a call and you’re terrible.

2. 15thTN

15thTN Elite Refuge Member

Most people in West KY sound terrible, but on Reelfoot most everybody sounds good. The biggest factor is history of the area. In places that kill alot of ducks, generally the better people sound.

Have also heard suzies, that sounds worse than the very worst caller, you've ever heard. I know because it was so bad, I went looking for the idiot running all of the ducks off. To my surprise it was live ducks.

3. Mr. Chokesonducks

In general...callers in the south are better than in the Midwest....and the callers on the east and west coasts are the worst. Obviously, there are exceptions

4. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

I think that’s changing with the interweb…at least out here with speck calling. Lots of operators that can run that call…many have no idea how to work birds.

pounder likes this.
  5. Mr. Chokesonducks

I agree...in general (again), I think quality of calling is increasing everywhere (mainly due to access to videos of great callers and instructional media)

6. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Reelfoot has shown me some of the worst callers I have ever heard which is saying something for a guy that grew up in MD. West KY had a lot of above average to good callers. My experience has been the exact opposite of yours.

7. Trevor Shannahan

I think speck calling is the one discipline that is lagging behind because it’s so new to most people. 95% of people still hee hee, haa haa and don’t know how to shape notes at all. Duck and goose calling is way ahead of speck calling for the general population because it’s much more wide spread.

8. 15thTN

15thTN Elite Refuge Member

I live in West KY, and my mom's parents had a resort on Reelfoot from the mid 40s to 2006. Guiding duck hunters were a big part of their business. I think beings I live, and hunt this area, I know what I'm speaking of. Reelfoot has its own style of calling, that is very effective. Perhaps your arrogance didn't allow you to appreciate it, but that wouldn't be the first time.

Empty Skies likes this.
  9. Trevor Shannahan

Never said it wasn’t effective, just that it didn’t sound good. Arrogance has nothing to do with this discussion, ears do :tu

Mr. Chokesonducks likes this.
  10. mtncntrykid

mtncntrykid Refuge Member

Isn't that kind of an oxymoron? My way of thinking is if it "is" effective to call in the live ducks then it surely must sound good. If you don't like it is simply an opinion and not really something factual.
    Just sayin. o_O