RNT Lil Richie and Mezzio

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by 15thTN, Aug 8, 2019.

1. 15thTN

15thTN Senior Refuge Member

I wonder if this notch is what helps keeps it from sticking?? Was like that when I bought it new 2002. A very special call.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Paul Tidwell likes this.
  2. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

To the OP, I've owned both. Of the 2 I preferred the Mezzo for overall capabilities. The lil richie to me lacked any real punch and was very much like the NOS but may have had even less range IMO. I did end up getting rid of both because neither would have bumped anything I'm currently using from my lanyard but the Mezzo was a fun little call to run. I've never owned an original "Old Style" or whatever Butch called his non-original model style call, but from what I've read, it sounds like the Mezzo might be kind of close in terms of overall range to that call.

3. 15thTN

Well I ordered a lil richie. Wasn't what I was hoping it wa , that said a fun little call. It is what I thought the timbre and timber hawg should've been. Can do everything except a ringing hail call. Can kinda do a sort of ringing high ball, but low toned. Plus I'm rusty as all get out on calling. Herniated disc and 3 back surgeries hasn't let me out to hunt for 2 1/2yrs.

Anyway think "old" short barrel but a little quieter. With a long reed you can put all the air you want into it and won't over blow it, but doesn't sound flat. A shorter reed and you can get all kinds of stuff out of it, but have to watch the air pressure else you'll put to much. I'm opting for in between.

4. 15thTN

As an update the Echo ODB fit the bill nicely. Has a quieter ringing hail but a ton more range than my "old" old style. Can get a few ducks out of it. I can tell it could hiccup and squeal pretty good but I'm not that I'm very good with that sort of stuff. Easy to tell in the right hands it could do all of that easily, but it's not really my style.

A touch louder than my "old" old style but close enough. With range I'll take the trade off. I just might become a Echo convert.