RnT

Rick Hall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Can't remember the name of the double reed that only lasted a couple of years, but that sucker had real "pop" if you hit it like a cutdown.

Made me look, and I see Upperduck is still carrying Double Js. (Didn't google beyond that first quick hit.)

In the "Way back when..." Gardner had his RNT deal, Jim sent me what he called a "Louisiana sound," IE: double-reeded, version of whatever their single poly was then called, and it bumped the Duck Commander Cutdown Reachers I'd been hunting with. Then, when John had taken the RNT reins and they started selling poly J-frames, Jim stuck a second reed in one for me. Those two polys ran and sounded the same until the second was tuned higher to compliment, rather than parrot, the first, so I assumed the two from the same mold until someone on a message board suggested otherwise. (Have kept the first for nostalgic reasons but had long since passed the second to a young guide when I read that and haven't been curious enough to buy another for close comparison.)

Regardless, my hunters killed thousands of birds over that double-reeded poly pair, albeit in the late '90s and early 2000s, when Louisiana's kill was at its modern peak. And I'd be quite surprised to learn we'd not have done as well or better over a single-reed poly J-frame, had I then run the single-reed enough to take full advantage of it's inherently greater pitch range and develop the same confidence in my operation of it.

OneShotBandit

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
J-frame was a really solid call that could go top to bottom and everywhere in between. The Timber was more limited, but it was a very good call if you wanted something on the quiet side. Can't remember the name of the double reed that only lasted a couple of years, but that sucker had real "pop" if you hit it like a cutdown.
I agree, Bill. After messin' around w/that poly Timbre call I wished I'd had gotten that "real" Timbre call. Was that the first poly dbl reed call, if it was I gave mine away. The "new" one (Rainmaker) is a neat little call though IMOO.

15thTN

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I preferred the poly over the Timbre. Every Timbre I tried, save one air locked on me. The poly wasn't as bad, and if it was a little sanding on the front of the toneboard fixed it.

Rick Hall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I agree, Bill. After messin' around w/that poly Timbre call I wished I'd had gotten that "real" Timbre call. Was that the first poly dbl reed call, if it was I gave mine away. The "new" one (Rainmaker) is a neat little call though IMOO.

Back when they called the molded poly version of the Timbre a Timber, instead of a dumb-a--ed Quack Pipe, and only marketed it as a single, Jim sent me one set up as a double to try.. I found the second reed muddied the Timber much too much for my taste. Liked it better and found it very easy to run as a single at a time when I still struggled with some of them.

choc24/7

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
i have the LA style double reed and it takes a ton of air to tun IMO... i tried a few of the others and they were sticky, was a while ago...

Juca

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Anybody have or use the quackhead j frame?
I do... that and the pipe,but both of them are heavily modified. Both are loose running calls,jframe is louder than stock MVP. Pipe was 1/4 bore and opened up to MVP specs,raised reed as well. That pipe is loud,has ton of rasp but takes some air to run it. Id say it runs and sounds like heavy tuned mondo and barks like a cutdown. Speaking of stock PIPE,i was not able to run it,i was overblowing it and locking up. If you like a call with very little hold,go with the j frame.