Road Trip:OR to MN

Discussion in 'Minnesota Flyway Forum' started by 28gauge, Jul 29, 2020.

1. 28gauge

28gauge Refuge Member

Will be driving over to MN the 1st week of Sept. to visit family and friends and fishing. Will be basing out of the Shakopee area. Been looking for resort cabins w/boat or pontoon rental. Will be targeting walleye and “slabs” / pan fish. Any suggestions well appreciated and thankful. Thanks again. “SKOL”

2. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

I don't really know about resorts or rentals...but there's a couple places on Lake Minnetonka you can rent pontoons and small fishing boats.

Howard Point Marina and Rockvam Boat Yards.

Minnetonka is an excellent fishing lake, if you can fish during the week. On nice weekends it's a disaster...heavy recreation.

Other than that, you don't really get into "resort country" until you get 1.5 hours plus outside of the metro area. I'm sure there are others closer, but I don't know them.

You can check out Prior Lake, O'dowd, and Cedar Lakes. They're nearby, busy lakes, and may have rentals available. Also, several lakes to the south in the Faribault area.

3. Feathers

Feathers Senior Refuge Member

Do yourself a favor and drive 2-4 hours north of the minneapolis metro area. Better fishing, scenery, boating, more peaceful etc. If that’s an option let us know and you’ll likely get a lot of recommendations. There just isn’t much of that other than boat rentals down there and there is a reason for that.

4. 28gauge

28gauge Refuge Member

Thanks for the feed back. Driving north is no problem. Had a person tell me St Cloud, Alexandria, Brainerd areas.

5. Bullet21XD

Yes, yes, and yes. All three good options.

6. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

:amen:clap

You could also call resorts around Mille Lacs. They're taking a huge hit with walleye fishing being closed down, but it can be excellent for all other fishing, and I'm sure there are many charters begging for customers.

7. 28gauge

28gauge Refuge Member

Well, been searching MN sites for resorts and fishing and have been very successful. West of St Cloud is very promising. Cabins w/boat/pontoon rentals. We are going to have fun. Now I need to buy a 12V freezer for the back of the truck. Thanks all

8. Bullet21XD

If you don't mind, would you let me know what freezer you get, and how it works out. I'm considering buying one to use for the trips I take to Louisiana. Coolers don't work well enough for a 20 hour drive.

9. 28gauge

28gauge Refuge Member

Will do. A web site I looked at is marine air I believe. Small freezers for boats. Also Engle md14.