roll crimper

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by magnumyammerhammer, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Trevi

Trevi Senior Refuge Member

This is the simplest and best answer. Works great. Don't have to have a drill press, you can just screw it to your workbench. Roll crimps are great but leave a LOT less material than you think you will need. You will compress everything with the pressure you apply, and if you put too much roll they open funny and are not reusable.

I do not have to hold mine in my GAEP jig with anything other than my hand and then that's just because I choose to. It is "rough" on the inside and the hulls do not spin.

Ravenanme likes this.
  2. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

My Rio's were a little longer.
    I had a pair of snow geese come in and they shot real good. Not one feed problem in the Model 12. The real problem was I didn't cut a feather, Now I don't have much confidence in roll crimps. :(

3. magnumyammerhammer

Thanks I will look into one of those. A must ruled mine too tight because I looked at a couple empties and they were kinda weird looking. They almost opened up and look like they had had a fold crimp applied.

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I showed my C-clamp Vise grips that I used before I purchased the Gaep Hull hold-down and as Trevi says , you can just help holding the hull if the
    Die is fastened (tightly) to a base of some kind ! The more solid the Die is bolted down , the easier it is to Gaep finish a shell ! With a Drill Press it does
    a better job because , you can adjust the STOP GAGE so every shell has the same wad pressure and is the same length = better consistency :yes:tu

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  5. magnumyammerhammer

I don't have a drill press, Though, I suppose, it might be a good reason to get one :l

6. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Like I said, a cordless drill works.

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  7. magnumyammerhammer

That's what I used. worked great. just need to figure out how to hold a damn things. Thanks

JRS likes this.
  8. magnumyammerhammer

Here were my first efforts 81F5AEBF-8E3F-430B-BAE0-B663164B2ADF.jpeg

Fowler267 and JRS like this.
  9. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

10. Trevi

Trevi Senior Refuge Member

They be way too tight which is why you’re getting the same thing I did at first. You almost need to leave no hull above your overshot card or disc to get roll that just pops open. Roll crimps are fun because you can do some cool stuff with the hulls and loads. And they look cool too lol. Don’t buy into the wow they really lower pressure talk. Yeah they might a little but make sure if you’re doing something off recipe you get it tested. Especially if you shorten hulls. That really spikes pressures.